Guitars with sentimental significance for you?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by JT19, Jul 12, 2020.

1. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Reminds me of something that one of my favorite singer-songwriters said during a concert once. He seemed to be struggling with getting a song started, so he stopped and told the audience "My guitar is telling me that it doesn't want to play this song right now. We'll see how it feels about it a little later... but for now, we'll do this one instead."

I liked the idea so much I borrowed it myself when I was performing once and my mind suddenly went completely blank on how to begin a song (which I'd written... making it that much more embarrassing).

Jeff67 and new6659 like this.
  2. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That's awesome! Sounds like a couple of keepers to me!

3. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Guitars with a lot of songs in them are the best! Glad you found a good one!

christophervolume likes this.
  4. rich724

rich724 Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Linden, MI
    I have one acoustic that I purchased with the few bucks my grandmother left me when she passed. An ovation eletite with a custom walnut top. I also have a Tele Deluxe 72 reissue that my son bought me one Christmas.

JT19 likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    My 60's 6120,i got it with help from my parents and grandparents ,it took a while to pay off but it got done,i would never have been able to afford it back then(1988).
    I only have mum left now and it would be a sad day if i ever had to let it go ,and sadly the dreaded binding rot has started but it seems to be slow ,at the moment anyway.

JT19 likes this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
  7. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Of course I accept that Jim, the point I hoped I was making was that what our guitars produce is alive in a way that photos aren't. I agree with you about the emotion a photo may inspire but I think music is of another type and intensity altogether. Just a view. I do share your hopes about the thread.

JT19 likes this.
  8. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Thanks for this take on the topic - keeping or missing guitars you've loved for all the good reasons mentioned by others is valuable and rewarding; getting rid of those that don't have what it takes for you is a difficult decision but I think the right one. After all we bought them in anticipation of enjoying them so something went wrong.

Two guitars I've sold on and not missed were an elderly Hofner Verithin Bass guitar which was simply lifeless and a new, equally unresponsive Seagull cedar flat top acoustic.

Of course, in both instances the fault could be mine for not being able to get good things out of them, but I was invited to borrow a Fender Precision Jazz bass for the recording session I was playing the Verithin on in and I can hear the difference on tracks recorded in the same session.

Equally, the man I sold the Seagull to was thrilled with it and wrote to me to tell me.

new6659 and dougmon like this.
  9. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I think this happens to all of us more than we'd care to admit. I once had a nice Baja Tele that I just couldn't get a decent sound out of. Someone else picked it up, played it through my amp, and got just the most wonderful sound out of it. Sometimes I think the guitar just tells the player "no, I'm not for you."

Jeff67 and radd like this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Visual and performing arts, both wonderful. Sometimes one appeals to me more than another. It is one aspect of humans I love, the ability to create and touch another person emotionally with that creation........Pretty darn cool.....

This is way to early in the morning for me to be getting this heavy. :eek: I better get another cup of coffee. :cool:

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    This Les Paul & I have been through a fair amount together in the 27 years we've been acquainted, probably has the greatest sentimental bond for me:
    [​IMG]

JT19 and Jeff67 like this.
  12. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That sounds like something Kris Kristofferson or Jerry Jeff Walker would say and do.;)

13. flashsync

flashsync Electromatic

Feb 7, 2018
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Sentimental significance guitar for me is my 1974 Guild Starfire, got it brand new, a gift from my parents when I turned 15 (long time ago) started guitar lessons in 2nd grade, stuck with it so they rewarded me on my 15th birthday, unusual finish for the time, tobacco burst when most at the time were getting cherry or sunrise finish. Love the guitar, all original and mine are the only hands that have every played her.

1974 Guild Starfire.jpg

Attached Files:

new6659, JT19, dougmon and 3 others like this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

Nope. The closest would be a PRS Custom 24 that was my 16th birthday gift. I kept it for years after it ceased to be useful to me because I kind of felt like it should have sentimental value. But eventually I came to the realization that it really didn't and sold it.

15. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    In 1968 I was in 10th grade, 16 years old, & I wanted to move from playing bass back to guitar. At that time I thought the Stratocaster was the coolest design on earth. But I couldn't afford a new one; they were $300 back then. So I got a used Strat for $130 from my local music shop. Years later when I took the neck off I saw that it had been built in 1956. I still have that Strat, 52 years later. I don't really ever play any more, but it is not leaving until I check out for good.
    (I'm told it's worth more these days than the $130 I paid for it.)

new6659, JT19, Jeff67 and 1 other person like this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I had dozends of guitars with quite a lot of sentimental value. My first acoustic handed over by my god father, the first electric, the first "good" electric, the first custom made guitar, that guitar that I played on that big gig, the guitar my wife used to love so much, the guitar I really hunted for all my life, the first Gretsch, Gibson , Fender, etc, etc.
    I had to sell them during the last years and it hurts me deeply.
    The last guitar that fell in my hands that was something I ever wanted in a guitarist`s life is my vintage V.

IMG_2866.JPG
    It really sums up all the guitars of my youth and I really never thought I could afford an original in my lifetime again.
    A true laser-guided super-precision weapon. The heavyweight champion of the world in my book.
    It came to me in a very depressive and deeply sad time.
    It`s aquisition helped me so much to feel better, get positive thoughts again and made my life more happy than before.
    You cannot imagine how many weeks I litterally "danced" around the advertisement on ebay classifieds, consulted my luthier, spoke with the seller and tried to drum up the money to buy it.
    I treasure it and I hope that I can keep it for the rest of my days.
    I have it on my lap right now. My luthier friend just finished the frets perfectly. The last thing to do is swapping the neck-pickup for a period correct T-top that is waiting for a new cover.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    BFTmarshall, new6659 and JT19 like this.
  17. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    My brootz player, there is time when life sends me in Drop C & we roll with it
    Explorer X bandanna.jpg

loudnlousy and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.