Guitars Manufacturers That Morph Other Guitar Companies

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
A PRS Starla looks very familiar compared to a certain Gretsch Corvette/CVT---and is three times more expensive.
Gibsons and Guilds share a lot of elements.
How many Strat and Tele clones are there? LP copies? Genuine Gipsons?

Last edited:

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Remember cars in the ‘50s? Fins. Airplanes on the hood, Fake exhaust ports on the fenders, tail lights that looked like afterburners? Sure you do. Guitars are a lot like that. There are only so many headstock designs that work. Only so many ways to make a cutaway. Double cuts, offset bodies, relief cuts. Same deal. It makes you think there’s nothing new under the Sun. So now we have solid state amps and electric cars. But guitars look pretty much like they always did. At least mine do. And my wife can’t tell a Gretsch from a Gibson from a Fender and doesn’t care. They’re all too loud to her.

Last edited:

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Good question. I don't really see anything that derives from somewhere else. They were always just kinda fun and goofy on their own. Like a Studebaker or something.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I think if you go back into Gretsch's history, there's a lot more in common with Gibson than Fender. They were always coming up with new models and features in response to Gibson's ideas. That's especially true if you go back to the glory days of archtops.

They've had 60+ years to come up with a decent reply to the Strat. Still haven't done it - and no, you can't count the TK-300!

I said "decent" - LoL!

tk300.jpg

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I think if you go back into Gretsch's history, there's a lot more in common with Gibson than Fender. They were always coming up with new models and features in response to Gibson's ideas. That's especially true if you go back to the glory days of archtops.

They've had 60+ years to come up with a decent reply to the Strat. Still haven't done it - and no, you can't count the TK-300! I said "decent" - LoL!

View attachment 186792

Obviously inspired by a cartoon. 🫣

The body shape is actually quite nice. Gets a slight Ernie Ball vibe. Give it a Jet neck, get rid of the pickguard, straighten the electronics and Gretsch might be ready to tackle this century.