Guitarist Magazine (via Guitar World) : Classic gear: Gretsch 6122 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Jul 18, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Always a classic .......;)

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I love my G6122-1959. It’s an almost perfect guitar and captures the sound of Chet’s RCA era recordings quite well.

The 6122 Chet used was pretty well worked over. He knew his electrical theory and designed the control set to suit his needs. It’s a clever design that allows a volume cut for the bridge pickup, a tone pot, a master volume and a pickup switch. I’ve noticed that if you really want to nail Chet’s timbre for the boom-chuck stuff, rolling just a little of the bridge pickup seals the deal. Considering how challenging it is to play with the electricals of a single-cutaway Gent, old Chet must have been a pretty fair guitar tech, in his own right. I’ve had the harness out of mine twice and can tell you that it’s a real headache to put back in.

G5422T and audept like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    You've earned your "Electrotone Badge of Honor."

Doing any wiring harness work on an Electrotone body w/o the back cut out is well, a test of patience with a few new cuss words invented.

I've been into my -58 a few times. All ended well with the results that I wanted

Love those single cut Electrotones, vintage or new.

4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Mine developed a problem where it sounded washed out. Eventually, a treble-bleed solved the problem, but for a while it appeared to be pickup related. Wanting to be ultra careful not to damage the finish, I took the harness out, which was a snap, but getting it back in and not getting the ground wire on the wrong side of the trestle braces definitely increased the page count of the “Dictionary of Profanity, Utterings of Frustration, and Annoyed Grunts”. I spent many hours getting it back in place. Trestle bracing can make life … interesting, to say the least.

upload_2021-7-19_6-8-20.jpeg

Mark W likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That is a lovely aul Gent,mine is actually a little earlier than that one too!

Narrow neck on mine though.

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Nice, although I prefer my '62 double cut with the dampers, gives a great thumpy thump bass line when finger picking

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Gretsch-Talk is a G rated forum---let's keep it that way...please(!)
    ;)

8. afire

afire Country Gent

Twice? I took mine out once for cleaning. Never, ever, ever again. I've taken harnesses out of hollowbodies before and never had that much trouble getting them back in. I figured most of the work wasn't happening through the f-holes anyway, so probably not that much harder. What I forgot to consider is that the trestle bracing and dual switches on the upper bout combine to make it a first rate nightmare, exponentially more of a pain than on a fully hollow guitar.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Mine was a slo-mo trainwreck. It suddenly got very wonky. I called TV Jones and even they thought that it might have been a pickup issue. We did a fair amount of troubleshooting, and at one point it made more sense to just pull out the harness. So, I put in replacement pickups, got it back together and, to my dismay, it sounded much the same. At that point, I pulled everything out and checked the harness itself. What a hassle!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.