Guitar storage around the house?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by OzzPocket, Aug 21, 2020.

1. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Some of each: 6 hung, 4 in stands and 3 in cases.
    For humidifier, I use a whole house evaporative model:

Gretschifier.jpg

L Robbins likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A Gretsch humidifier? :)

r0de0 likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I can tell by the logo that it's a Gretsch DRUM humidifier!:D

r0de0 likes this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Still laughing.
    You made my day!

Now that's a walk-in wardrobe!

ramjac likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those stands are great, I've had the one that's about 1/2 that size for 20+ yrs and its still perfect.

mbkri likes this.
  6. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    There is always one guitar that is out and on a stand, just in case something inspir..

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    One guitar is always on a stand ready to grab. The others are kept in their cases. I always rotate them so each will get it`s playing time.
    Back in the day I used to own a bunch of vintage Gretsch guitars. These were kept out of their cases, always.
    I strongly believe that the fumes in the cases cause binding rot.

MTurner and GreTschocaster like this.
  8. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    In their cases..They stay clean and safe. I have three case racks that hold 5 guitars each in their cases so they are up off the floor a little too. I do have stands that I use for the day of playing but when I'm done back in their cases they go.

9. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it's a chambered HumiTone® G4060 with a TV Jones Filter and Adjust-O-Cosmic Controls
    in Burl Oak.

MTurner likes this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If you could find a vintage example, it would work better. :)

r0de0 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  11. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I use String Swing wall hangers, kept in a room which is "The Music Room". No TV's or other items of household use.

My house has central heating/AC and whole-house humidifier. The thermostat and humidistat are in that room...... Love it!!

12. Rckt-Brew

Rckt-Brew Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    Trabuco Canyon
    We don't use the living room so all guitar are out on stands or a rack. The dream is that when our middle daughter finishes school and is on her own, her bedroom becomes the music room. IMG_1556.JPG

JC higgy, audept and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  13. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

How much damage did it do to the floor? Teles are tough!

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That is a perfect setup.

Restless Native likes this.
  15. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    It's interesting to see that there are a pretty wide variety of answers......but what I think I've really learned most, in this thread, is that I have to get busy and start expanding my collection, to keep up. ;-)

aFriendbFrosty likes this.
  16. Restless Native

Restless Native Electromatic

Sep 3, 2009
    Scotland, UK
    I live in Scotland, humidity is never in doubt

17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    F264AD9F-43EC-4AE8-8935-5ACA17A8D37A.jpeg 9063715D-BBBD-4B74-832D-20A1BC9500BD.jpeg the wall, mostly, keeps em up and out of the way, and encourages me to grab different ones that inspire different play.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have all mine out either on the wall or on stands, never had a problem with damages but they aren't in rooms where pets or visitors with little ones go into so all good here.
    Every time the guitars are out of the house, if they aren't in my hands they are in the cases.

Is that a David Lee falcon up front?

audept likes this.
  19. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    All my guitars are kept inside their cases. The only instrument I ever left unprotected was a ukelele, because it was a cheapo one which was sold case-less and bag-less, and I couldn't readily find a case or bag for it in my town. It stood for two months on top of a chest of drawers, and one day, as I picked it, I found it was dented*. I wasn't very inclined to keep instruments outside their cases before, but now I wouldn't do so for all the jewels in the crown.

* A well-meaning relative picked the uke to measure it and try to find a case for my birthday. I don't know what she did, and she doesn't know, either, but the result was ghastly.

20. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Ash body and maple neck? Yes that one is for sure! The floor survived, probably because it has semi-thick carpet over actually really nice original 50's oak wood floors (that someday we'll expose so long as guitars stop raining down). However, an old center insert/mini poster from Guitar World of Keith Richards in the studio with a black LP that I had in a frame, leaning against the wall below the Tele did not. Cracked the plexiglass, broke the frame, and tore the min-poster on a corner. I think I cut my finger removing the frame/plexi.
    Not sure if that was a statement by karma or not. The Tele in question sports a Seth Lover humbucker in the neck and is my dedicated 5-string, tuned to open G..... Maybe a ghost in the house passing through at that time did not approve of the Rolling Stones and twisted the String Swing U-shaped arm to make the Tele fall??? (I have heard two distinct older ladies' voices ask in conversation "I wonder what he's going to do this time?" and "oh, my yes" as I was going to the basement to work on my HO scale train layout. Made me stop in my tracks in the middle of the steps.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.