Guitar storage around the house?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by OzzPocket, Aug 21, 2020.

1. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Not sure if this was the right part of the forum for this question...if it's not, admins please feel free to move it to the proper area...

I'm just curious as to whether you folks, when at home, always keep your guitar(s) in their case when not being used, or if you keep them on a guitar stand, or a wall hanger.....or some other sort of setup?

With my original guitar (Aria Pro II) I have a case for traveling, but at home, and in my college days, the dorm room....just kept it on a stand so it was always "ready to go"

With my original Yamaha acoustic, the same thing....

The guitar my buddy made for me....still the same....

But, when I bought my Guild D-40 Traditional acoustic.....after playing, it's immediately in it's case

And, I have a feeling the Gretsch will be kept as cozy as possible when not playing, as well.

More of a hassle to get it, when inspiration hits......but I'd like these to be safe.

Having said that, although the other guitars have their bumps and bruises from years of use.....I don't think any harm ever came from them being on a stand.

In the case of the Guild, I want to make sure it's properly humidified, etc.

The Gretsch, I just want to keep looking pretty for as long as possible ;-)

But....what do you folks tend to do?

r0de0 likes this.
  2. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I keep mine on stands...I'm more motivated to pick them up, even if it's only for 5- 10 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    wizard_23, MKunie, Tater and 7 others like this.
  3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I always have one or two out on stands, but usually i have 7 out in the rack and i slide “Herco” humidifiers in between each one and Check them wvery couple of days and keep them moist. EE3424C7-A1F0-413C-AAA1-BB8DDC45F26F.jpeg

wizard_23, MKunie, JC higgy and 11 others like this.
  4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Both. I worry less about pretty and more about intact. I am a klutz and I do not indulge in expensive guitars. I do live in earthquake country. Most of my guitars are in a case until called upon for recording, gigs, etc. I do have a healthy supply of beaters that are in close proximity to the couch.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I keep my guitars out. Mine are meant to be played, not preserved. Ymmv.

MKunie, mrfixitmi and Gregor like this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
  7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The one I’m playing at any given time is next to my computer, with the Focusrite close by, in my practice spot. The rest are either in their case, if they need restringing or something else, or hanging on the wall if they are ready to play. I rotate my instruments frequently, so I keep them handy. My acoustic is always out and close, because I do a lot of quick study with that one.

Dave Murray, lathoto and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Most of mine hang on the wall. I have a nice three guitar stand I made when I’m playing in my music corner but no guitars stay on the stand with two kids and two dogs in the house.

Some I don’t use often stay in their cases.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Wall hangers for many of them, along with floor stands. But there are more guitars than there is space, so many stay in cases in closets. Those guitars never get played. The ones out within reach get played.

MKunie and new6659 like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    All mine kept in there cases ;) with humidifiers
    5 in the closet
    1 in the corner of the room
    1 under the bed ( maybe my wife will forget it's there so I can put a new Martin in the other corner of the room and she won't notice ) :p

Rmccamey, Dave Murray, Zimm and 3 others like this.
  11. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Some hang, some lean, some are on homemade stands. None are in cases. I like to have them ready to grab and play. No kids or indoor pets to knock them over, so that is a consideration.

guitars1.JPG guitars3.JPG piano1.JPG

CatTones, gtttrrr, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

All my 5 ones on a guitar stand in the living room.

20190906 Wall-Storage.jpg

The sofa usually is very close to them and that's still too much room for them according to my wife. And they're collecting dust: I should at least wipe it everytime I grab one to play but I don't.

The red jazz bass isn't mine, belongs to a nephew. And my son's nylon is no longer here, he took it yesterday to his new home.

thunder58 and mrfixitmi like this.
  13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Always in cases. I have tripped over enough stuff and knocked enough things over to know they need protecting. I live in Wisconsin where humid and temperatures go up in summer and down in winter; being in cases (with humidifiers in winter) keeps those parameters closer to where they should be. It takes less than a minute to get any one of them out of the case.

OzzPocket, Scott and mrfixitmi like this.
  14. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Made a rule..what fits in recording area( 1/2 of MBR now studio) is what i keep. Right now the 5 in cases are for sale. If they don't get used in recording rotation off they go. Same with amps.
    Guitars
    11 in the iso booth on wall hangers(Gibsons)
    3 bases on stands
    5 others in a rack
    2 shredders & Explorer in front of DSL100 on stands
    3 V's standing

AMPS
    JTM 45
    JMP 50
    DSL 50
    DSL 100h
    Peavey Classic Blues 50
    Fender Super Six
    Fender Super Reverb

up for sale
    68 Bassman & matching 2x12
    68 bandmaster
    73 Pro reverb
    Jimmy vaughn Strat
    CV Duo Sonic
    Fender Jagstang MIJ
    CV jaguar
    Strat build

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I keep five or six one stands, the rest are in their cases.

Zeek, JC higgy and mrfixitmi like this.
  16. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada

17. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    OP,

Everything in my music room is out on stands, or on shelves on stands, with a ''center-piece''.

BIB.

2010_0723FourFabLudwig0001.JPG 2010_03020003.JPG

Rmccamey, Oywee72, toddfan and 6 others like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The majority are in their cases, safe from toddlers and critters. I keep a $50 acoustic out on a stand. Keyboards are covered as well because of cats.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  19. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    A few months ago this same question was posed and the overwhelming response was in their cases.
    I had mine hanging for years, until late one night a Telecaster decided to loose its reigns and run free. She ran 6 1/2 feet straight down. Since that time all Telecasters are in their cases!! Thanks for the headstock design Leo (actually I love the Tele headstock). I use String Swing, btw, which always made me worry about the nitro. My nitro Les Paul has never hung from them. The drop added a dent by the jack on the side and can’t even be seen from the front. Tough swamp ash- the dent is only in the finish and it hasn’t chipped or cracked. I don’t care- the guitar is a player and has other dents, scrapes, dings, etc to show that.
    Seeing the dust on my others, and the space in the closet the cases took up I now keep the electrics in them, but my 6 and 12 acoustics stay hung. I rearranged the music room so the electric cases stand vertically between my desk and a file cabinet. For the 5120 and my Les Paul I still need to make the space, but since I’m playing them most they are usually (cased or on a stand) in the computer room, the living room on a nice walnut stand I made, or out on the deck being played.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  20. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Mine:

One in its case until I either get it repaired or give up on it.

Three hanging on the wall in my bedroom.

One on a stand in my daughter’s room, as she is the one who plays that one the most (my most expensive guitar, and she plays it. Sheesh).

My only rule is that guitars are not stored next to an exterior wall.

j.s.c, OzzPocket and mrfixitmi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.