Guitar-related gear you've owned the longest?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JT19, Jul 12, 2020.

1. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Very cool! I wish I still had my very first guitar. Not because it was good... but because it was the beginning of a wonderful journey.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  2. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Man... that is so much better (and cooler) than the guitar I learned to play on!

SAguitar and S. Rock like this.
  3. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

thank you. at the time, the action wasn't that great. but it was a "stepping stone".

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Old Sears silver tone amp, no not the nice tube one the buzz box that sound like a million drunk bees trying to sing, and an SG copy. I think it was bundled deal and knowing my parents it was the cheapest one available. They were Depression era kids so you didn’t spend money and got the least expensive item possible and made it work.this would have been around 75-77

JT19 likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

The thing which I have had the longest is a Gibson J40 acoustic guitar that I bought new in 1970. I'd post a pic but right now it's at my son's house. Still plays and sounds great even though it looks a bit like it's been through a war.

JT19 and audept like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I've had my original ELTON " neck thingy " since 1975 IMG_0607.JPG IMG_1729.JPG

new6659 and SAguitar like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A Mighty Mite Distortion humbucker pickup. 2 Weeks after getting my first guitar I decided it needed mods... The guitar is long gone, but the pickup is somewhere...

The MightyMite looks exactly like a DiMarzio Super Distortion, which I later got as well. Never got closer to the Van Halen 1 sound than with the MM... Interestingly enough Ed mentioned he used MightyMite parts in the early days. I wonder...:)

JT19 and thunder58 like this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    This pic is from 1984, my mother (RIP) was visiting me from England in Austin Texas in 1983 to see her new grandchild and bought me this 1979 Gibson The Paul for $250 for my birthday.

Still got it, totally unmodified, T-Top pickups and all.

The paul 1984.jpg

new6659, Trash Kidd and JT19 like this.
  9. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    In 1968 my cousin was in the AF He sent a catalog where everything was half price. I bought a Yamaha classical guitar with a cardboard case, remember those, for $25. I think I still have the strap I put on it. Also in 1974 I bought an Ovation, sold it, but I also got a tuner. You turn the knob to the note and slide the end under the string. It has a strobe light and when you look at the string you strum it till it stops moving. Actually worked real good was I got used to it. Still use it once in a while. I can tune with it and match it with my Peterson strobe tuner.

JT19 likes this.
  10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    My Gibson ES-330 TDC purchased new in 1966. She's never leaving me.

new6659, JT19 and ishtar like this.
  11. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

A Line 6 DL-4 has been around me longest... been through some things... Dan Rasp modification... Wish I had a pedometer for it to have counted steps....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Tele295 and JT19 like this.
  12. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I shed all my guitar stuff many years ago in a surrender to fatherhood with the exception of a Jasmine acoustic bass (STILL an excellent choice and it still delivers the goods) but then I remembered I have an old and decrepit Fostex Cassette 4 channel. It still works, but you have to hug it. Yes, I chose to reverse course once the kids were all growed up. bassfmly3.jpg

JT19 likes this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

I've had my guitar for nine years, and my amp, probably more like 12 years. Other than them, I can't think of much of anything guitar relate that I've had for a real long time. But I have been singing through the same Shure Beta 58 since I was 16.

JT19 likes this.
  14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Guitar related would be my 60's 6120 which i've had since 1988.
    But i have a Hohner harmonica i bought in Blackpool back in 1984.

JT19 likes this.
  15. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

What does the modification do?

16. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

This silverface Princeton has been with me since summer 1987. I can’t think of anything worthwhile that I’ve had longer. It still get used with my cocktail group along with my Gretsch (Which hasn’t been with me that long)

[​IMG]

new6659 and JT19 like this.
  17. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

There were cosmetic changes to finish, heavier duty buttons, different colored lights... A looper mode button was added that allows an immediate switch to go from delay type to looper without getting down and twisting the selector switch. He did an output buffer mod to keep output from dropping, an issue with some DL-4s. He can do other stuff... The video shows an expression knob added to the side of the DL-4. I've always used an expression pedal, but it could reduce the footprint of things.

I should say he can do mods if he still does this kind of work. It's been a while. When I sent mine in, he had another job that impacted his turnaround time. IIRC it took longer than I expected. Emails were exchanged and he was apologetic and ultimately I got it back and have enjoyed the stomp box since.

There are/were others out there modding DL-4s, and there are a few other YouTube videos about the possibilities.

Here's a video about Rasp's processes -

Tele295 likes this.
  18. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    I was going to say my ‘85 MIJ Squier Tele that I got in ‘87, then I realised I’ve had the case longer. It’s a rectangular plastic Fender USA case that came with my previous guitar, a Bullet Deluxe. I had to carve out some of the moulded styrofoam under the furry lining to get my new guitar to fit!

JT19 likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My first acoustic, 1992, so almost 28 years.

20. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    The unit I've had the longest is my Fender Bassman 50, a 50 watt wonder with a 2-15 cabinet, purchased brand new in 1974. That stack has done nearly countless gigs and still looks pretty good. Second would be my 1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe that I bought from a friend in 1977, when it already had a set of DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups in hogged out cavities. That one looks very much like a used guitar, and would be called "heavy relic" if it came from a shop. That dude is well into his second set of frets and still rockin' hard. The DiMarzios are long since gone and Lester is currently sporting a pair of Seymour Duncan pups.

johnny g and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.