Guitar Music--not necessarily Gretsch.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stole_life, Jun 19, 2008.

1. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

Hey, I thought it might be fun to recommend music and guitarists. I think we all can agree on the majors--Chet Atkins, Setzer, etc. I want this to be for less well-known and more out there, obscure stuff.

Carlos Guitarlos--He's a crackhead from Los Angeles who is one of San Francisco's best-known buskers. In the 80's he was the guitarist for an L.A. bar band called Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs. They were awesome. Anyway, he's cleaned up and is gigging and recording. It's rootsy, bluesy rock. He's really good live. See if you can download it for free from this site:

http://idisk.mac.com/stole_life/GretschFriendsGuitarists/?view=web

There should be a song file there called "Damn Atchafalaya." All the way to the right there should be a downward pointing arrow meaning "Download". Click on it and see if it downloads. If it does, let me know, and I'll put other stuff on here. This is a public folder I pay a subscription for, so these aren't virus-laden Limewire links. These are my personal cd files directly loaded to this public folder. I hope it works. A lot of you will like this guy.

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I posted this on another post but you guys need to check out Pappatwang's band "The Diesel fitters" check out there new CD on Pappatwangs home page! It's great! I just bought one!!

3. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Hot Rod Lincoln-the band, not the song. Buzz Campbell is an awesome guitarist and gretschaholic to boot. It's pretty much straight-on roots rockabilly.

The Derailers-not necessarily guitar music per se, but a great modern interptretation of the Bakersfield sound.

Two Dollar Pistols-what might be considered alt-country, but their guitarist is good, and there music has a certain thing to it I like.

4. stole_life

stole_life Synchromatic

I just put Elizabeth Cotten's version of Freight Train in my public file folder. Download it from here:

http://idisk.mac.com/stole_life/GretschFriendsGuitarists/?view=web

I love her raw voice. She was a lefty; she plays the alternating bass with her fingers and the melodies with her thumb on a righty guitar turned upside-down.

5. bobframe

bobframe Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    US
  6. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Anything from Richard Hudson. Amazing guitar work.

I also really like Cousin Harley's stuff. One day I swear I'll buy his CDs.

7. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    Stan Martin
    Duke Levine
    jesse harris of Rancho Deluxe

8. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Redd Volkaert - Telewacker

Jimmie Vaughan

Dennis Fallon - Two Tons Of Steel

9. Chetfan

Chetfan Electromatic

Jun 7, 2008
    N.W. Ohio
    Scotty Anderson
    Jimmy Bryant

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.