Guild Newark ST. collection. Starfire I dc, & I SC.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Roy Clark, May 30, 2021.

1. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    So tell me about Guild Newark ST Guild Starfire I DC & I SC. SC is walnut without trem 499. And the Starfire DC in green and blue with trem 599. I love them both. I'm leaning towards the Green or blue with trem or the Walnut SC. So any info or thoughts on all 3?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. I was on a guild kick shortly ago. I think they make a decent guitar. I have eyed the starfires, mainly the 3 and the 2 with dynas. I have not played any other Newark street models. Most that have, at least online give great reviews. These are also about half the price of the next level up. I had a few issues with mine new that had to be resolved with guild and or the stores i got them from. At this point i am reluctant to buy new sight unseen, and i would wonder if the quality control issues i had on the slightly higher models would also make their way down to these. Either way, they are lookers for sure.

Attached Files:

3. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have the Newark St Starfire bass. The 1st reissue version with a single pickup. Strung w Labella Deep Talkin Flats.
    It’s well made, sounds and plays great. I love it.
    I’m sure the guitars are just as nice.

4. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    These new Starfire I series are made in Indonesia, and not as nice as the MIK Starfires II-VI.

I have the blue one pictured above, and a white Jet 90. They are not as nice as MIK Electromatics, but seem a little above the 2xxx series of Gretsch.

I changed the bridge and the tuners on the blue one I have, and think it plays great, sounds great and looks great. Neither the bridge nor tuners were BAD, they could just stand an upgrade since I play in a band and they need to be very solid to make it through rehearsal without issues.

If I were buying only one semi or hollow (I have way more than I need), I would get a Gretsch 5xxx over these, since the used Gretsch price is inline with these Starfires new price.

The Jet 90 is actually 2" wide, not 1.75" like the published specs. It plays and sounds great, even has staggered tuners for the Fender style headstock.

5. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I still want one of the 2 guitars I talked about. Samick is one of my favorite brands and factories. So I think they will be great no matter which one I choose. But the green or blue one is a tough choice.

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There is only one choice. If I weren't a Gretsch man, I'd be a Guilder. A 50s Aristocrat is my all time white whale guitar.

Attached Files:

Groutsch likes this.
  7. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I love to have many different guitars from many different brands.

8. I played one of the first they made. A dual pickup and a single pickup that was in the middle that was custom ordered by someone back in 54. Both played very easily. Both were incredibly light and the pickups were very powerful. The ones on the newer versions that i have are decent, but nothing like those were. White whale for sure.

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The Newark St. hollow/semi-hollow models have seemed easily on the level of the nicer Electromatics to me on average, but most of my exposure has been to the MiK ones. Not quite as special as the Westerly built late 90s SF I lucked into several years ago, but pretty darn nice IMO.

The new X-175 Manahattan Special I most recently bought is a step or two beyond the other Newark St. collection models I've got experience w/, but it's also MiK at Samick & is priced accordingly...

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I had a MIK Starfire III. It was a good sounding guitar and played quite nicely.

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve experienced fine quality with the MIK Guilds. My X-175 and especially my M-75 are in the Gretsch Proline ballpark.

D780DEE1-4A74-4290-B840-9F9E8B98B55E.jpeg

BorderRadio and new6659 like this.
  12. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    To be clear, he is asking about the new Starfire I series, made in Indonesia, not the Newark Street made in Korea models. Apples and oranges.

Wildwood609 likes this.
  13. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Amen.

14. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I'm really thinking about this one.

[​IMG]

drmilktruck and mrcoffee23 like this.
  15. Hey all look pretty sharp. Not to take away from all the great info you can get here, but take a visit to LetsTalkGuild.com They have nothing but guild heads there and i have gotten a lot of my guild info from there. They are not as busy with as many members and posts as here, but they are nice folks just the same. Im sure you can get a few in depth reviews on any of these models.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    I have the Starfire I SC in antique burst. It's actually a great guitar with only one downside - the damn linear tone pots. I had to swap mine out for audio taper for them to even be useable.

The pickups are pretty hot - I prefer the Streamliner humbuckers. But the Guild plays excellent and the build quality (at least on mine), is outstanding. I think I paid 399 for it - an absolute steal.

OH - and the coil split function is pretty useless, for me anyway. They just don't sound right, I don't know how else to explain it. I thought I'd be able to get some unique tones by splitting the humbuckers but, nope. Just my opinion though.

17. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I belong to the forum.

18. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I have also talked to GAD the guy that has the guild blog. He reviews Guilds and buys them. He has so many.

19. Small world!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.