Guild Bridge Question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Sep 26, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Posted this over on Let's Talk Guild and din't get any response, so I'll ask here. I posted in another thread that I'm working on a refinned 1958 Guild M-65 3/4. I'm wondering what bridge I can put on there as the neck angle is very shallow and there wouldn't be much room under the strings. The original bridge appears to be a very narrow wooden base or later a Tune-o-matic screwed directly into the top.

[​IMG]

Any ideas on what I could use? The Guild store offers a TOM but I can't tell if it would work for this guitar. Thanks for any help.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mine had no decent bridge when I got it. It had to have a floating bridge. The loose parts box had a couple of little round feet in it, and a mangled wood bridge.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    How much clearance do you have between the top of the guitar and the underside of the strings when they're set up with your preferred action?

I converted my 5620 from a fixed TOM bridge to a Bigsby bridge on a rosewood base. The neck angle on the 5620 is fairly shallow, so the bridge base had to be very thin. I ended up buying this flat-bottomed bridge:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/bridge-grover-adjustable-rosewood-6-metal-saddle

I chose it because it had the thinnest base I could find. I discarded the bridge itself and sanded down the base to match the curve of the archtop. I also had to file down the bottom of the Bigsby bridge, and I had to move the posts in the base to fit the odd hole spacing on the bridge. It was a chore, but it worked.

If you want to stick with a bridge screwed directly into the guitar, I believe Tru Arc or Compton can make one to spec for you.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A Bigsby bridge with a custom low riding wooden base. I opted to do that for a Pro jet which originally had fixed studs. In the end I had Wayne make me a low Compton bridge(He shaved 3mm of the bottom).

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Based on the pic you posted over on TGP, I would take some stripper and strip that guitar clean of all the paint. It appears there is broken binding etc anyway. You might as well risk it. Maybe the logo on the headstock is still there?

6. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was thinking that today as I scraped primer off the binding.

7. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, get it down to bare wood and see what you have. Reglue and repair binding as needed. Leave a natural finish with some clear coat? Or maybe worse case you'll have a semi transparent white if the PO sanded to bare wood before painting..

8. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Hey Doc,
    Mojo Axe (Joe Glaser) makes an intonated bridge with a low profile to retrofit to a 52 Les Paul..... This might be something which could work or be adapted for you.

9. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Thanks, John! I'll check it out.

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    There's a Bigsby rocking bridge that comes with a low-rider alloy base plate that might to the job. I think I may have one in the man drawer that I can measure.

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would work backwards and figure out the ideal height and then find the right sized bridge. There are low rider bridges available of there is not a lot of room.

12. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I think a TOM will work.
    No need to use the adjustment wheels. Get some fine washer/shims to set the height if need be.

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    As Rich told you. This would my way to go, Jim.

14. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I did this. From the fretboard with a straight edge, there's just about a half inch of space. Adding in a medium action comes in at around 5/8. There are bridges available that I found that can be adjusted from 0.5-0.75 inch, which seems to be what I need. Thanks for all the suggestions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.