Grounding, annieversary G6118T

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Fret speedbump, Sep 10, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I was an electrician years ago ..... absolutely

pmac11 likes this.
  2. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    And that’s why I invested in a stash of evil incandescent light bulbs shortly before they were banned a few years ago. I have old school lighting in my guitar room, but it doesn’t buzzzzzzz…..

And I have spares enough to last me for years!

pmac11, Gregor and thunder58 like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Cell phones.

thunder58 likes this.
  4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    lol.... did the same thing . I'm down to about 4 light bulbs myself

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's great that you did this test and didn't waste energy and sweat hunting nonexistent ground problems in your guitar - it seems to he a common issue. I am not sure if it is really doable in a hollow body but one could try to shield the guitar by putting a Faraday cage around the pickups.

6. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Glad the Gretsch was okay.

Good luck in your search for the elusive hum.

7. Fret speedbump

Fret speedbump Electromatic

Jun 27, 2018
    Sweden
    Hello,
    My biggest concern that there would be any problems with the guitar is cleared. No problem what so ever with the Gretsch guitar. That said, the electric hum is still there and loud. Looking around I see LED spotlights in the room next door, thou dimed totally of the hum is still loud. There is also LED spotlight in the bathroom, kichen and hallway... think these might cause a problem - or things in nwxt door apartments...

Anyway, the gretsch is 100% working.

8. Fret speedbump

Jun 27, 2018
    Sweden
    Given that, then I think I can assume what most likely MIGHT cause the electric hum.

I live in a home with 2 TV:s, 6 mobile phones, 5 computers, 5 iPads, almost 40 dimed LED:s just to mention a few electric items....
    I think this might be a reason. The strange part is that only the combination with the Gretsch and yhe vox causes a hum...

epimetheus81 likes this.
  9. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Got to add my story to this thread.....I brought home a brand new LP Deluxe Goldtop yesterday and got a terrible buzz when I wasn't touching something metal on the guitar. If I touched the strings, or the bridge, the buzz went away. Tried different cables, different amps, with no change. Thought for sure it was a grounding issue. Took the guitar back to the shop today and the tech couldn't duplicate the problem there (neither could I). Came back home and went through the whole routine again; same results. Then, I thought I'd give my wireless a try and, bingo! no buzz. Still can't figure out why I have the buzz with cables, just at my place, or why there was no problem at the shop. So, easy solution is that when I play the LP, I'll use the wireless. If anybody wants to guess why, I'll be glad to listen.....:p

10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Does the wireless unit include a noise gate? Maybe the guitar chord itself is acting like an antenna.

11. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA
    My previous house was built in 1923.
    Boy was it noisy!
    My new place is modern code.
    The only noise comes from a tube amp.
    Anything else is nice and quiet. Even P-90’s!

12. Joe M

Joe M Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Michigan
    No noise gate. And any/all of my other guitars are quiet, even with the same cord(s) that make noise with the LP. Plus, the rest of my collection is made of single coil equipped guitars, and the LP has mini humbuckers.

13. Fret speedbump

Jun 27, 2018
    Sweden
    Update. Listening to your tips I have checked the home.
    About 40 dimmed LED spotlights,
    6 mobile phones, 5 ipads, 4 PCs wifi in every room... guess it could have an impact...

thunder58 likes this.
  14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    You could try ... separate receptacle / a separate circuit from the panel to the receptacle . No other receptacles in / on the circuit

GlenP likes this.
  15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    GlenP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.