Grille Cloth

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Nov 27, 2020.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    So does it have to be "grille cloth" at 20 bucks a yard, or will regular old fabric work?

2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Fabric will work. We did a lot of psychedelic fabric back in the 70's. At low volume playing it muffles it a bit but not much. Real grill cloth let's it all through...

hcsterg, mrfixitmi and pmac11 like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You need to be able to "see" thru it somewhat. It's suggested that you want something that's about a 50% open weave. One example of what not to do is the tweed Gretsch G5222 amp (not to be mistaken with the G5222 guitar). Tho it has an historical precedent to an early '50s amp, the tight weave with the added rubberized décor on it seriously chokes the sound. Any nice open weave should do.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I was alive during the 60's. It can be done. All of the advice above is good! On a personal note, unless this amp is wedded to a studio or bedroom, I would go with actual purpose made grill cloth. There's the sound part, but there's also the abuse part. Grill cloth usually has a combination of light and heavy threads. When your amp is sliding in the back of your truck, or, more likely, that drunken bar patron may slide right into your speaker. Throw up on it. And then jam his glasses through the cone. Regular fabric may not be resistant enough.

hcsterg, mrfixitmi, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Very good advice

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    On my late '50s Gretsch 6163, the grille was actually a flocked screen wire thing. Pretty tough material, but impossible to clean.

mrfixitmi, pmac11 and montereyjack66 like this.
  7. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    If there’s any local amp builders see if they’ll sell you a small piece. A guy up here from New Vintage Amplifiers charged me about $15 for enough to do 3-4 1x12 cabs.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    I used as one outdoor furniture cloth from a local fabric store on an amp. Sound didn’t seem affected at all.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Speakers are moving air, so As long as you can breath through the weave, most any material could work...?
    Speaker cloth is durable. Pulling the baffle can be a biach... lesson you got Velcro type. I’d make a custom baffle to recover n keep the stock OG.

pmac11 likes this.
  10. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I just bought a big roll off a friend, proper Fender wheat cloth....
    I’m not sure my attempt at attaching it to the baffle was my best work.
    It needs to be tight
    I’m gonna try the hairdryer shrink to fit technique next!!
    Luckily Mrs Moo has one as i really have no need ;)

pmac11 likes this.
  11. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    So how much do you need? I've got some oxblood I used redoing a little Fender Champ, same as that G5222(I think).

wabash slim likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That is the same amp inside. Better yet, the Fender goes to 12! Oxblood would look great with that brown/tan cabinet. Oxblood would look good on the Gretsch G5222 amp (not to be confused with the Gretsch G5222 guitar) as well.

For tight grille cloth, staple at the top center, then stretch and staple at the bottom center. Do the same to the sides. Work your way to the corners. That keeps the cloth taut, and keeps the pattern from wavering. First thing to do is to paint the mounting board face black so the speaker doesn't stand out.

cowmoo likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure ! That's what I did on my G5222, plus satin clear-coating the tweed :

[​IMG]

I should never had let it go... :(

A+!

14. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Gonna have to do mine again this way.

wabash slim likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It works. 12 O'clock, then 6. 9, then 3.

pmac11 and cowmoo like this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That works far better acoustically than the rubberized original grille.

17. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Oh no that's ok, I have some spare lengths myself. Just gathering up other people's experiences.

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Indeed !

A+!

19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Get your three kids to hold it tight while you navigate around their hands with the staple gun.

wabash slim likes this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm going to be generous and assume you're not a "loser" and TONE is important to you and that GAME-CHANGING "gear" is something that MATTERS to you (quotes, caps and a hyphen, thank you very much).
    [​IMG]
    If I'm right, then the only thing you need is E.C. Collins TRUE "BLUESBREAKER-PINSTRIPE" grill cloth. Clapton, Page, Hendrix, etc. You thought tone was in the fingers? You thought it was talent and dedication? Well, then you're an idiot. TONE comes from grill cloth.
    https://bluesbreaker-pinstripe.com

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.