Gretsches - what was missing...

DougCraft

Gretschie
Apr 24, 2018
Northern Colorado
I modded my Steinberger GL2 to a 3PU version with a 6-way rotary switch and series/single/parallel switches for the Duncan humbuckers. Ever since doing this mod, I have always looked at doing similar switching to all my humbucker guitars to get a clean, noise-free high end with the humbuckers:
Steinberger Repair_DSC1363.jpg

I realized recently that my Filter'Tron Gretsches don't need the parallel switch because Filter'Trons have tons of high end in series! I rate this realization's magnitude along with realizing "we are all gonna die"! Thank you, Gretsch, for low noise high end in humbuckers!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I used to own three vintage pre-Gibson Steinbergers.

They where magical guitars and I totally regret selling them.
Other to my Gretsch guitars which happen to be "personalities", they were somekind of perfectly working "joysticks".
Thats what they were.
The combination with my vintage Mesa MK3 red stripe was unbeatable. The trans-trem was a genius invention and total fun to play. If I had the means I would buy them back.

Last edited:

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Doug, I completely understand your revelation. I always tried to get humbuckers to sing a bit more, but when I got my first Gretsch, I knew I was on to something - and that was a 5120 with Grestchbuckers. Now I'm fully committed to Filtertrons, too. It's right up there with "water is wet!"