Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by swivel, Aug 22, 2020.

1. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    ... sighting? or....? F holes and headstock seem weird...
    [​IMG]

CousinWarsh and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Not Gretsch. But no idea what.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Looks like something of european origin, like a Hofner.

new6659 and section2 like this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    According to the Unique Guitar Blog, that's an Isana.

"It was 1958 when Elvis was drafted into the United States Army. While stationed in Germany his friend Lamar Fike, purchased a German guitar for Elvis called an Isana. This was a jazz style archtop instrument with soundholes that resembled the letter “S”. Elvis may of owned a couple of these guitars. One had a floating pickup, but was constructed in a way to be played without amplification.​

"Elvis used these guitars during his military service and when he was discharged gave them away to some local men he had befriended."
    https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2016/12/elvis-guitars.html

wabash slim, mbkri and loudnlousy like this.
  5. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Pretty sure that ring he’s got isn’t GI! Sad thing is those guitars he gave away were either trashed or sold at a garage sale for 2 Deutschmarks.

6. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Great pic of Elvis off-duty and relaxed btw.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I like it .... different

9. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    This thread is fascinating! This is my first guitar as I showed when I first joined this forum. I explained then I had no idea of its brand or origin. I can't access the Elvis picture with what someone has identified as an Isana guitar but compare its features (and the Thomann reissue referred to ) The f-holes have the same weird shape, there's a small plastic cover on the bottom of the heel, like mine the reissue clearly has a zero fret as well as a nut and the block inlays are almost precisely the same. The headstock shape is very similar and mine had machine heads like those in the reissue photos until I broke a button and replaced the lot with enclosed machine heads (probably Grover copies). As I admitted in my initial entry I am responsible for the control knobs and the pickguard is also a new one. To think that Elvis might have played what my luthier pal described as 'still smelling of the oranges' is really very interesting. I'll do some more digging but thanks for the start![​IMG]

swivel, section2 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.