Gretsch White Falcon vs Gretsch Electromatic!

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
This video was posted a while back too.

The only things these two guitars have in common is the color, and they are sold by Gretsch.

ToneM1

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2009
Oxnard/Ventura County Calif.
I think you can get into the vintage market for about the same prices. I bought a 1961 Px6113, which is the precursor to the Px6119 Tennessean for $2,500. USD. It's nearly mint. I did have it refretted and installed a Tru-Arc Serpentune bridge. The differences between a Tenny and the this one is the Px6113 has a 1/4" deeper body, no neck binding or Standby Switch nor does it have Chet's signature on the pickguard.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I enjoyed this, but it's a bit of a cop-out to say (as these videos tend to!), "You can't really know, and you have to go try them out." I wonder if there are videos about this in which people come to solid conclusions about why they've gone with Prolines over Electromatics or vice-versa. I played a whole lot of guitars at all price points when I first went after a Gretsch, and found only one Electromatic that had the same feel to my hands as a Proline. And when I figured in the cost of putting in TVJs and considered resale, I bought a used Proline and never looked back.
I don’t have a video but when I was looking for a green guitar I asked my daughter hey Jade want to help me find a green guitar? She says yea! So I’m looking at Strats in Sweetwater‘s search green strat and see some nice ones. Never even thought about anything but a Strat. On one search I forgot to put in Strat and just searched green. Scrolling along we see a Broadway Jade Penguin and we’ll it looked good, youtube clips sounded as good as they could. I asked a you tube poster his thoughts on the one he played and since it was a Jade and my daughter is Jade we decided it must be a sign. Even my wife was into it and says just call it our anniversary present. That is my solid concrete proof my proline is the best. 😎😁🤪

Last edited:

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
I don’t have a video but when Inwas looking for a green guitar I asked my daughter hey Hade want to help me find a green guitar? She says yea! So I’m looking at Strats in Sweetwater search green strat and see some nice ones. Never even though about anything but a Strat. One one search I forgot to put on Strat and just searched green. Scrolling along we see a Broadway Jade Penguin and we’ll it looked good, your clips sounded as good as they could. I asked a you tube poster his thoughts on the one he played and since it was a Jade and my daughter is Jade we decided it must be a sign. Even my wife was into it and say just call it our anniversary present. That is my solid concrete proof my proline is the best. 😎😁🤪
I am likewise a sucker for green guitars! I only now own one, though, for the first time ever. Forest green F-hole Tele (thanks to Dr Milktruck). I was dead-set on a Country Club -- has it all, from Filtertrons to big body, to GREEN. But then I found a Phoenix for a ridiculously low price. But here's what I did to the Bigsby, because green:

Attachments

• 20220926_184251.jpg
    20220926_184251.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 2

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
The video compares apples to oranges.

Sure, they're both "fruit", but nothing alike apart from that.

At least they didn't compare apples to bananas, which is what a Gibson would be... good, but kind of starchy. 😀
And the top is designed to break away without too much force.

Igotgas

Electromatic
Sep 25, 2022
Zürich
I had some T-Armonds but I didn't like them in the full hollow. To me they sound better in a Jet.
Why is it that you don't like them in a full hollow? Just curious as a '55VS is one of the guitars I would love to try out. There are none in my area at the moment.

KeithyK

Aug 5, 2022
New Milton UK

Great video. You have shown that the “quality” of a guitar is nowhere near as important as the person playing it. Also, you could put any old guitar through effects units and a decent amp (as you have done) and it will sound as good. The choice of strings and the action set-up are also big factors. As I have always said, John McEnroe could beat me at tennis using a frying pan. It’s not about the equipment, it’s the player.
Having said that, I would love to own a White Falcon!

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Note that the guy in the video mentions the Falcon is his personal guitar. One he owns. Meaning that regardless of what he claims in the video, for his own use he's already decided a Falcon was worth the extra money. Sort of answered his own question, hasn't he? Case closed. The rest is just you-tube BS.

I've played a Tri-Five Electromatic, it was pretty nice for what it was. Almost pulled the trigger, but it wasn't anything I really needed and I'm trying to keep the GAS clamped down. They might already be discontinued. They don't seem to be on the Gretsch website anymore and were supposedly "limited edition" models in the first place.

Dealers seem to still have stock. but once they're gone, that's probably the end for them.

Igotgas

Electromatic
Sep 25, 2022
Zürich
Note that the guy in the video mentions the Falcon is his personal guitar. One he owns. Meaning that regardless of what he claims in the video, for his own use he's already decided a Falcon was worth the extra money. Sort of answered his own question, hasn't he? Case closed. The rest is just you-tube BS.

I've played a Tri-Five Electromatic, it was pretty nice for what it was. Almost pulled the trigger, but it wasn't anything I really needed and I'm trying to keep the GAS clamped down. They might already be discontinued. They don't seem to be on the Gretsch website anymore and were supposedly "limited edition" models in the first place.

Dealers seem to still have stock. but once they're gone, that's probably the end for them.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
He is just trying to be vague and unbiased as it allows more opportunities for sponsorships. Companies do not like opinionated people who talk bad about a product. He is just playing it smart and setting the bait for sponsors and more money. We can't blame him for that now can we?

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
He is just trying to be vague and unbiased as it allows more opportunities for sponsorships. Companies do not like opinionated people who talk bad about a product. He is just playing it smart and setting the bait for sponsors and more money. We can't blame him for that now can we?

LoL! Well, first off, no hate involved, ok? And you're right, you can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck off you-tube. But he really does provide his answer, however unintentionally, and despite feigning a non-committal verdict.

He bought a Falcon! He didn't do it 'cus they're overpriced garbage!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I enjoyed this, but it's a bit of a cop-out to say (as these videos tend to!), "You can't really know, and you have to go try them out." I wonder if there are videos about this in which people come to solid conclusions about why they've gone with Prolines over Electromatics or vice-versa. I played a whole lot of guitars at all price points when I first went after a Gretsch, and found only one Electromatic that had the same feel to my hands as a Proline. And when I figured in the cost of putting in TVJs and considered resale, I bought a used Proline and never looked back.

Hey Seamus,

Like someone trying to tell me that a Chinese Rickenbacker copy, or a Harvey Benton, sound exactly like a Genuine Rickenbacker.

Maybe to someone's ears, but certainly not mine.

Best,

BIB.

Glaw

Synchromatic
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
Tried to give my wife a cubic zirconia for a wedding ring, they look the same. She wasn’t buying it.

Bradford

Electromatic
Jan 21, 2016
Metro Detroit
Why is it that you don't like them in a full hollow? Just curious as a '55VS is one of the guitars I would love to try out. There are none in my area at the moment.
I don't know. I mean they didn't sound bad in the full hollow. Once I put them into the jet I found them to have more character and bite. They were punchier. I just preferred them. Again, not bad in the full hollow at all just not as tonally rich I thought. I painted the inserts and they now live happily on my Jet.

Attachments

• 20220927_142315.jpg
    20220927_142315.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 2

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
You have shown that the “quality” of a guitar is nowhere near as important as the person playing it

I wonder what the ratio is. I mean, clearly, yes, the player is a big factor. But no matter how good your playing, what you're playing through makes a pretty sizeable difference, too. I had a guitar that not even Jimi Hendrix could have made sound decent. :)

Berington

Gretschie
Jan 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Yes Dynas and single coil Hilos and TVJones Hilos! They sound great!
My first Gretsch was a 2004 reissue '62 Tennessean ("Rose") with stock Hi-LoTrons. FABULOUS sound! Later I got a 2008 reissue of the '62 Country Gent, with original Filters. (Both are reissues of the guitars George H. made so iconic.) Watching the pennies at the time, the Gent was a stretch, but WELL-needed & justifiable in many ways, and my thought was to POSSIBLY sell the Tennie to help defray the Gent. On first playing the Gent at home, as delicious as it IS, I immediately heard the loud "WRONG ANSWER!" buzzer in my head. I was actually GLAD to realize the sound and feel are completely unique to each guitar. Despite the similarities (really, between MOST Gretsches), they are two totally different instruments, & both of them just couldn't be better at what they do! So I have 'em both, LOVE 'em both, and along with some other beloved wooden babies (from whom they're also completely different!), they're now best friends in both studio & stage use. "That Great Gretsch Sound," in whatever form it takes! Cheers!

Last edited: