Gretsch White Falcon vs Gretsch Electromatic!

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I have watched that and while it was interesting enough to watch it's a bit of a funny one really, yes the Electromatics can still hold there own and sound good against a proline as I do think its a good video for that at least.

But those two guitars couldn't be further from each other, the only thing they share the same is that they have white on them so using them as a comparison in a way is maybe a bit, I dunno not the best, maybe a 5410 vs a 6118 may have been a better choice as they have at least similar sized bodies and scale lengths, but that's just my opinion.

Nice playing and sounds all round though.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Non-sense everyone can hear the White Falcon sounded exactly $3017.63 better.
ona. Serious note although both get the job done well on that vid I did like the Falcon better TONALY. But, what can you tell from a YouTube video!

Last edited:

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
The video compares apples to oranges.

Sure, they're both "fruit", but nothing alike apart from that.

At least they didn't compare apples to bananas, which is what a Gibson would be... good, but kind of starchy. 😀

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I do understand where he's coming from in this video - the difference between the two guitars in not as wide as one might think. The sound is "processed, though, whether it's pedals or post-production. To truly understand the difference in the guitars, one would have to play each guitar clean. Having a 5420 (Blacktop Filtertrons) and a 6119 (H.S. Filtertrons), I can say that there is marked difference between the Tennessee Rose, and the 5420. It's not that it's a bad thing, as each has its own voice. It all depends on what a player wants from their guitar.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
A lot of what you get isn't related to sound so much as playability, durability, materials used and last but not least - marque.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
I enjoyed this, but it's a bit of a cop-out to say (as these videos tend to!), "You can't really know, and you have to go try them out." I wonder if there are videos about this in which people come to solid conclusions about why they've gone with Prolines over Electromatics or vice-versa. I played a whole lot of guitars at all price points when I first went after a Gretsch, and found only one Electromatic that had the same feel to my hands as a Proline. And when I figured in the cost of putting in TVJs and considered resale, I bought a used Proline and never looked back.