Gretsch Straps

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Johnyrocco, Jan 14, 2022 at 9:46 PM.

1. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    After having a Gretsch for a couple of years now I just found out they have their own guitar straps. I have the 5420-candy apple red with gold hardware electromatic. It is a beautiful guitar which plays and sounds great. But now I think I want a new strap for it that says Gretsch.

The only one I found online that might look good was the gold and white one. I found a you tube video where they guy said they fit the Gretsch button better than regular straps.
    This is pretty petty, but now I want one!

PS I am home recovering from surgery and have nothing to do except look at guitar stuff. LOL

2. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Forum sponsor Italia Straps make some REALLY nice custom leather straps and they frequently run some great sales. Check their ads in the Shameless Commercial section of the G-T classifieds. I’ve bought a couple of beauties from them. That being said, I don’t know if they do any lettering or logos…

Duo Slinger, thunder58 and MrWookiee like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    All I know is that I won two Gretsch straps at a Gretsch Roundup and they never got put on one of my Gretschs. Very stiff uncomfortable leather and enough sharp metal on them to destroy a guitars finish. I have no idea where they ended up.

F4C1D0DB-BDEA-4889-98DE-E4D222F74E33.jpeg

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Get well soon :)

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I understand, but ... country engravings, jewels, oh! they look too cool, aren't they ?

radd likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I got two of them. A black and a brown one.
    Both are looking so incredibly nice that I am still willing to wear them altough they are super-uncomfortable.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @Johnyrocco I had this one made by a member here some years back . Spoke to him on the phone too and from the conversation , I honestly believe he's passed away . Real nice guy to talk too . It's modeled after Duane Allman's guitar strap . I paid $65 and I love it . Ironically , member DrumBob told me about the Duane Allman strap and we both had it made . I also have a few of these too made by Walker & Williams ( stock photo ) I also had a Gretsch strap .....what @radd said above and I too have know idea what happened to it ( never liked it )
    IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0296.JPG Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 7.17.53 AM.png

MrWookiee likes this.
  8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Walker & Williams makes a nice product. I have one of their mandolin straps and it's perfect. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Haven't tried their guitar straps, but the one pictured looks nice!

Haven't tried a Gretsch strap either.

Let's face it, I haven't tried that many different straps. I tend to use the free ones that come with the guitars. I've got an old black leather Marshall logo strap that I got back in the 80's when I got a JCM800. The amp's long gone, but I still got the strap!

Last time I actually bought a strap, I bought a Clayton - looks just like the Marshall but with no logo. Not very exciting, I'll admit!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 1:22 PM
    thunder58 and Telechamp like this.
  9. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    7F9D9882-52AA-4614-B075-1646FD5A5D54.jpeg

Love how they look on my guitars.

Jeff67, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  10. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    I have one of the Gretsch straps, in black. It isn't the world's most comfortable, but it's really, really pretty. It does feel a lot better if you find the sweet spot for the shoulder pad though.

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I prefer nylon straps, they just move about better for me.I do have 2 leather straps, one is over 30 years old and is done ,the other is a lovely Levy and is like new, cause I never use it!

new6659 likes this.
  12. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I really like the Walker & Williams straps - I have quite a few.

I also have a Gretsch vintage-style strap (last three pics) which I actually like a lot - it's perfect for my lightweight 5120.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 9:40 PM
    dcwwcp, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  13. Rockin Hogan

Rockin Hogan Electromatic

Dec 30, 2021
    Southeast US
    I wonder if that was my video? Anyway it is a perfect fit and looks really cool. The one in the video is actually my brother's strap that he left in the case when he dropped off his 5427 for me to setup and restring.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 10:10 PM
    thunder58 likes this.
  14. dcwwcp

dcwwcp Electromatic

Nov 14, 2021
    Kansas
    Too funny. My Gretsch rig is really close to that. The plain black leather Gretsch strap with a black 5420T. My amplifier is also fender. '68 Vibrolux reverb.

15. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    One thing to note about Gretsch straps before ordering online is they’re not that long.
    Not a problem for most people, but I’m 6 foot 1” tall.
    I came close to ordering a Gretsch leather tooled strap a while ago, the type with the cool looking buckle & Jewells etc… I read up that these straps only extend to 55 inches maximum. I need a 61 inch strap or it’ll be too high up on my chest!!
    I also heard recently that these straps are very stiff & uncomfortable..

16. DistortED

DistortED Electromatic

Jan 1, 2022
    Escondido, CA
    I use Souldier Straps for my Strats and Perri's for my Les Paul. However for my White Falcon I figured it was fitting to get the right strap. Agree with The Kidd, I'm 5'4" and as you can see I'm at the end of the strap.

thumbnail6.jpeg

Trash Kidd likes this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Oh,just remembered I also have a western Gretsch strap too,and an as new old stock, still in the box ,Bobby Lee western strap!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    DistortED likes this.
  18. Johnyrocco

Johnyrocco Electromatic

Dec 5, 2017
    USA
    Yes, that was your video. That is what made me think of getting an original Gretsch strap. The only one I saw that might look good with my candy apple red guitar is the gold and white one.
    My 5420 has the gold hardware. I actually gig with it twice a month and get a lot of compliments on its looks.

Rockin Hogan likes this.
  19. Rockin Hogan

Rockin Hogan Electromatic

Dec 30, 2021
    Southeast US
    I think the one I have in the video would look good with candy apple red -- the gold f holes on the strap look good with gold hardware and black goes with everything. I have a candy apple red jet and it looks good with that guitar. Btw, the last time I checked Amazon had better prices than some of the online music stores.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.