Gretsch Ranchers played professionally

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Anni_Lover, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    I started a similar thread in the Electormatic forum which had some amazing replies and I learnt a lot too. I was checking out the Bellamy Brothers on YouTube, and to my surprise, their latest song features a Historic Series Jumbo. That guitar holds its own against a Guild F55 too. Don't take my word for it, check it out yourself here:

Personally, I wish Gretsch/FMIC would bring back those mahogany bodied Ranchers Jumbos. I really miss my old Preerless made G5022c and there's no way I'd part with my G3410 Rancher Junior.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice video , thanks

Anni_Lover and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Love the sentiment of that song. I so want a Rancher some day!

Keep in mind that may just be the guitar he’s playing for the video. Who knows if he used it on the recording?

Rock Lajoint and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for sharing, the Ranchers are a great package, great sound, great looks, and they are durable. My uncle had an old mahogany Rancher, it was his "go to" travel guitar.
    Even though it was starting to look like "trigger", it still had the big bold sound. I don't remember what happened to it after he died, but I am sure that guitar could tell some stories.

Anni_Lover likes this.
  5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My main gigging acoustic is still a mahogany-bodied 2005 5022C. It's a keeper for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Earlier in the year I was sorely tempted to buy a Rancher, the Black Falcon model. But I tried it out then tried a variety of other jumbos. Eventually I ended up with a Guild F40 Traditional.
    The Rancher looked great and I really desired it for that alone but when it came down to it it looked a lot better than it sounded. It was soundwise not a patch on the Guild I bought, although the price difference is significant.
    Nice guitar for videos though.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    These two sentences sum up the entirety of Gretsch acoustics, it doesn't matter if they are flat or arch tops. While great for a hollow body electric the laminate top thing is not the right approach for an acoustic. Then there is that piano bridge on the flat tops where the strings don't become part of the top which also kills tone.

That said, I have a 1956 Town & Country and that thin midrange actually has a place of prominence in recording and gigging. Easy to mix and the punch is there without stepping on the toes of the other instruments. Just like the Beatles J-160s with their laminate tops.

With acoustics people are correctly influenced by what they like when sitting there strumming, the nice bass, etc. So Martin and Gibson acoustics (and Guild) are best. Gretsch acoustics never have such properties, but again, and as I've said in comments for over a decade on this site, they can record well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.