Gretsch Rancher with Bigsby (!)

Berington

Gretschie
Jan 6, 2014
Los Angeles
I tried one a few months ago at the NAMM show in Anaheim. For some reason it was the only guitar (the only ANYthing!) they had on display (just on a stand... no "displays" at ALL!), at a MOST underwhelming table. Something weird was going on & a few mfrs weren't even there. I forget why, but it was disappointing. Ric, Takamine, Yamaha, many others, all beautifully in evidence.
I LIKED the Rancher: it seemed well-built & intriguing, but they had NO amp to try it with, and most confusing of all, it was strung with heavy, dull-sounding flat-wounds! So it played ok, but sound-wise, it was dead in the water. I'd like to try it again sometime, properly strung and both with & without an amp. We spent some time at the Mellotron both & watched Stevie Wonder play at another booth! Those were a bit more rewarding than the sad, no energy Gretsch table. I'm about the biggest Gretsch fan there IS... so it was really surprising!

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
I've got the Rancher Jr. I wasn't really shopping for an acoustic at the time, but was going to a shop that had a couple and was curious. I really like mine. I'm not an expert, and the acoustic I had at the time (and passed on to my son now) was my 1981 student Yamaha. The Gretsch was a great improvement, and has really motivated me to play more. I've recorded myself on it with a cheap condenser microphone and I think it sounds great.
There's a guy on YouTube that does tutorials....has an Irish accent....does most of his videos with one of these Bigsby-and-Filtertron-equipped acoustics.

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
Well my buddy and I bought one to share, just for kicks. $600 shipped. Someday he’ll get tired of it and it will be mine.

Controversial guitar. Makes me laugh. It’s all good.

339DF035-CEFC-4D42-8CEA-3E0488F92ABD.gif

Mikethomas

Electromatic
Nov 3, 2022
South Florida
It’s a cool idea to have a bigsby on an acoustic, but in my option laminated top acoustic guitars just sound underwhelming. You at least need a solid top to get a halfway decent good acoustic sound. I always assumed with the added pressure of the bigsby they decided to build them with the stronger laminated tops. Which in my opinion just sound too thin acoustically.

David MacNeill

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2022
Boise ID
It’s a cool idea to have a bigsby on an acoustic, but in my option laminated top acoustic guitars just sound underwhelming. You at least need a solid top to get a halfway decent good acoustic sound. I always assumed with the added pressure of the bigsby they decided to build them with the stronger laminated tops. Which in my opinion just sound too thin acoustically.
I doubt acoustic tone or projection was in the plan for this chimera. It’s just meant to be a cool stage prop, a style statement, and a functional guitar only incidentally. I dig it.