Gretsch Rancher Falcon 12 String - G5022CWFE-12

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
These are way under rated.

We have enjoyed one for about 5 years. They do have a deep finish on them, so they do take some time to open up, but even new they sound remarkable.

They have that "Great Gretsch Sound", and it came in with a good set up. We lowered the action because my son was using it for his patients, and uses finger-style with a light touch.

As with every guitar we own, we installed Schaller locks, a jack plate and bought a hard shell case. Moving that guitar around Hospital Beds, and Gurneys can take it's toll on most guitars, but it has held up very well, and that sound is very calming or aggressive depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Looks great! I bet it has a powerful sound too!

One thing to think about, since you have a lot of string tension on a 12 string, maybe get a JLD bridge truss installed. Breedlove used to factory install these on their guitars, not sure if they still do, but I think that is what helps with tuning stability on my Breedlove 12 string. It will help keep the soundboard from bowing out over time which is usually more pronounced on 12 strings.

freddyfingers

Gretschified
The one i got plays very well, and not just as a 12 string. The action is low up and down the neck, even at the 12th fret. Its a big body for sure, and I’m 6’3”.

This is after i made a clear pickgaurd. Also has 6 brass end pins as thats all i could get. Will probably replace the other 6 as well. Its mainly cosmetic to add to the bling.

Attachments

• 5DBB16E0-BC5F-4A11-9132-1EEA30036A50.jpeg
    5DBB16E0-BC5F-4A11-9132-1EEA30036A50.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 12

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
As one of the " unofficial 12 string freaks " here on the forum , I must say she's beautiful . I think there one of the best sounding 12 strings out there too .
Congratulations and enjoy

giffenf

Synchromatic
Oct 26, 2008
Los Angeles
When I first saw the thread I was hoping it was a "For Sale" post, but no such luck. Been interested in one of these, and would really love to see a 12-string version of the 6-string Black Falcon Rancher I used to have. I'd be more sad about selling it to @Hydroman, but he likes it so much I can't really complain.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
12 strings are a ton of fun!

What's crazy about these Rancher Falcon ones is that for all I've read about them, and all the good reviews they get, I've never actually seen one hanging on the wall of a guitar shop. Probably just as well. I don't really need another 12, but I doubt I could resist buying it!

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll love it.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
12 strings are a ton of fun!

What's crazy about these Rancher Falcon ones is that for all I've read about them, and all the good reviews they get, I've never actually seen one hanging on the wall of a guitar shop. Probably just as well. I don't really need another 12, but I doubt I could resist buying it!

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll love it.

I agree that they are hard to find, I found mine at a Mom and Pop shop. The Big Box stores around me don't carry them, and actually they don't carry 12 string guitars generally, but you never know, maybe they will have a change of heart.

Scamp

Gretschie
Feb 22, 2018
SoCal
You can see Joe Walsh playing one in Ringo's birthday show. I like the looks and sound but it's the size that bothered me. I prefer a concert size guitar they are easier on my poor old shoulders. Love my Seagull. It's has the 12 string jangle but a concert size. Always like the Ovation 12 string too. I have a Gretsch 12 string electric guitar but don't play it anymore. Not comfortable.

Latest posts