Gretsch Pages down?

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
haha I loved Hee-Haw!! But my dad was also in WWII, so I too grew up listening to Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey.

...and watching "Baa Baa Black Sheep" as well as "The Dukes of Hazard"!
We watched stuff like "The Big Picture" and "Victory At Sea" in the '50s.
Thankfully, Dad also liked "Twilight Zone" and the Marx Bros.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Let’s not forget Maverick or the Wild Wild West! Wagon Train! Outer Limits. Baa Baaa Black Sheep was one of my favorites, probably had a lot to do with me going into the Airwing the Marines. Vogut F4u Corsair my all-time favorite the RF4b’s I worked with second favorite!

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Let’s not forget Maverick or the Wild Wild West! Wagon Train! Outer Limits. Baa Baaa Boack Sheep was one of my favorites, probably had a lot to do with me going into the Airwing the Marines. Vogut F4u Corsair my all time favorite the RF4b’s I worked with second favorite!
Some of those shows came out AFTER I got out of the service. Beyond Our Control and Ray Bradbury Theater were favorites. Ed Sullivan was another my folks watched. They couldn't figure out the Beatles craze, tho.
I grew up with stories about the B-17, B-24, P-51, and my favorite, the P-38. When I was in we had the Douglas AE-1, C-130Bs (3 bladed props), and F-4s. Still had RB-57s on my base.

One of the war stories my Dad wouldn't tell was when his B-17 didn't return.
The other was that he served as a Polish interpreter at some of the concentration camps at war's end. He'd just go grey and clam up if we asked him about it.

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
One of the war stories my Dad wouldn't tell was when his B-17 didn't return.
The other was that he served as a Polish interpreter at some of the concentration camps at war's end. He'd just go grey and clam up if we asked him about it.

Wow. That's rough. My dad was in the Navy, he was a rear gunner/radioman on the SBD Dauntless Dive Bombers, then the SB2C Curtiss Helldivers. He ended up in the drink once, but wasn't shot down- he had to abandon ship when the USS Hornet (aircraft carrier) was torpedoed and sunk and the Battle of Santa Cruz. Luckily he was picked up by one of our destroyers.

Those B-17 guys really had it rough. Freezing temperatures at altitude, and a low survival rate. Long missions. I got to fly in one a couple summers ago, at an airshow. It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. It crashed 2 weeks laters, killing 2 or 3 people, and injuring most of the others (just people getting a ride, like I did).

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
When I joined the USMC a great uncle I saw only occasionally wanted to see me. It turned out he was a Marine as well and wanted to give me 20$ for a good time and told me about his time on Iwo Jima. I don't think my dad, it was his uncle, even knew he was a Marine on Iwo Jima.

Back on track, I remember popping into the GDP a couple of times but just lurking. I may have posted there once or twice but got sucked in here when I got my Broadway Jade Penguin and saw a couple of questions and threads about it here.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Wow. That's rough. My dad was in the Navy, he was a rear gunner/radioman on the SBD Dauntless Dive Bombers, then the SB2C Curtiss Helldivers. He ended up in the drink once, but wasn't shot down- he had to abandon ship when the USS Hornet (aircraft carrier) was torpedoed and sunk and the Battle of Santa Cruz. Luckily he was picked up by one of our destroyers.

Those B-17 guys really had it rough. Freezing temperatures at altitude, and a low survival rate. Long missions. I got to fly in one a couple summers ago, at an airshow. It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. It crashed 2 weeks laters, killing 2 or 3 people, and injuring most of the others (just people getting a ride, like I did).
The Purdue Uni airport hosts the Collings Foundation warbirds every couple of years. I'd love to ride one, but it's pricey and I don't fit anymore. At least I was able to take my grandsons on a tour of their B-17, B-24, and B-25. I lost an uncle in a B-24 over Ploesti. He was a radioman/gunner. I'm named for him. 18,000 8th Air Force airmen didn't make it home---lost more than the entire USMC. All of those young men and women serving in WWII were in it for the duration---however long it took. We only had the one hitch to serve and knew when we'd get out.

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
The Purdue Uni airport hosts the Collings Foundation warbirds every couple of years. I'd love to ride one, but it's pricey and I don't fit anymore. At least I was able to take my grandsons on a tour of their B-17, B-24, and B-25. I lost an uncle in a B-24 over Ploesti. He was a radioman/gunner. I'm named for him. 18,000 8th Air Force airmen didn't make it home---lost more than the entire USMC. All of those young men and women serving in WWII were in it for the duration---however long it took. We only had the one hitch to serve and knew when we'd get out.
The Collings B-17 Nine-O-Nine is the one I rode in, 2 weeks before it's fatal crash. B17-3.jpg B17-2.jpg B17-1.jpg

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
The Collings B-17 Nine-O-Nine is the one I rode in, 2 weeks before it's fatal crash. View attachment 181355 View attachment 181357 View attachment 181358
Before I finally check out, I'd like to get back to the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. It's consolidated all of the aircraft they had in outlying buildings, making it nearly three times larger than it was 25 years ago.
Check your PBS feeds as they just had an one hour special on the "Memphis Belle" restoration. It might replay sometime this week. The attention to detail on the work they did is amazing. Check out the movie versions of the "Memphis Belle"---both the Hollywood version, but also the William Wyler documentary shot during the war. The PBS story puts the number of lost airmen at 30,000.

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
Before I finally check out, I'd like to get back to the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. It's consolidated all of the aircraft they had in outlying buildings, making it nearly three times larger than it was 25 years ago.
Check your PBS feeds as they just had an one hour special on the "Memphis Belle" restoration. It might replay sometime this week. The attention to detail on the work they did is amazing. Check out the movie versions of the "Memphis Belle"---both the Hollywood version, but also the William Wyler documentary shot during the war. The PBS story puts the number of lost airmen at 30,000.
Oh wow... WPAFB. I went there a few times as a little kid, living a few hours away in Ohio. 3x as large? Wow. As a little kid, I remember more the space stuff they had there than the aviation stuff. But I'm 52 now, so that was over 40 years ago...

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Oh wow... WPAFB. I went there a few times as a little kid, living a few hours away in Ohio. 3x as large? Wow. As a little kid, I remember more the space stuff they had there than the aviation stuff. But I'm 52 now, so that was over 40 years ago...
Check it out online. Not the same as being there, but worth a look.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
caliban!!!

:)

ps. GenX had the best music next to the industrial generation. boomer yrs are dark years, except for the Stones and Floyd :)
Boomer years were dark? We didn't have any death metal, no shredders, and not too much in the way of darkness. We were stuck with a lot of bubble gum, tho. Stones and Floyd were about as dark as it got.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I had to watch Lawrence Welk AND Heehaw w my Dad, growing up.. this explains much.
My parents never watched either, but I did catch a little "Hee Haw" at my grandparents' house when I was little.

Most of my Lawrence Welk viewing actually happened more recently. I don't remember exactly, but I'm going to say that for about a two year stretch, approximately ages three to four, my daughter found the "The Lawrence Welk Show" absolutely mesmerizing. And I didn't mind watching it with her one bit. With kitsch levels fluctuating between amusing and downright surreal, and the occasional flash of real musicianship, it's actually a pretty entertaining watch.