Gretsch-ified Flying V

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by BennytheJet, Nov 27, 2021.

1. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Gretschie

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    OK team, I just picked up one of these beasts: a Firefly FFLV in olive green.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of Gretsch-ifying it on the cheap. I've been curious as to the quality and sound of the new GFS GF'Tron "Hard Vintage" series. I have TV Jones Classics in two other guitars, so I don't have any illusions that they will compete with them in terms of sound; rather, I'm thinking that maybe a hotter wind will offer a different sonic vibe, not to mention the fact that a flying V really screams "hotter wind" pickups.

I'd prefer the traditional chrome finish for the pickups, so the question is do I do silver or black pickup rings? Also, do I do Gibson-style black top hats with silver tops or do I do Gretsch-style arrow knobs?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The only issue with those pickups might be that they're designed to fit a FilterTron rout, not a humbucker. Also you'd need to use a FilterTron sized bezel.

loudnlousy and section2 like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Go all out. Gretsch is one of the few brands that is able to pull off mix n matching of Gold and Chrome. Gretsch knobs though.

Either fill the HB routes so the pickup sits flat or use the GFS adaptor plates. When you get the Gretsch rings/bezels you’ll need to drill holes for the height adjustment screws. Might as well order 3 or 4 if you can. The ring besides offensively pricey for 25c(?) of plastic, is also offensively brittle.

mrfixitmi and Craig Encinitas like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its fairly easy, the bezels fit but you gotta glue some hunks of wood in there to screw to. TV makes that stuff but its not hard to whittle it up yourself.

mrfixitmi and BennytheJet like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Les Trem II if you want a tremolo.

7. So how does a firefly V play? Is it a decent playing axe?

8. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Gretschie

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    I'm hoping to get it sometime next week. I'll update with a review.

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    mrfixitmi, calebaaron666 and Jeff67 like this.
  10. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Me, too! Looks like Lonnie Mack's.:)

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If OP opts for the GFS filtertrons he would still need the adaptor plates. Also the EM1 is intended for US made Gibsons and the position of the holes on the ring are most likely not corresponding with Asian humbucker rings like on the Firefly.

mrfixitmi and Stefan87 like this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well there you go, I thought all HB ring screw hole dimensions were the same, I learned something today.

mrfixitmi and Ricochet like this.
  14. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Gretschie

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    Definitely. I think this might limit me to the black pickup rings instead of the clear or silver Gretsch-style ones. I'm curious to see if the GFS pickup rings hole positions are to Asian-made specs compared to the TV Jones ring specs.

I'll go ahead and order the adapter plate, too. I've constructed those before for some TV Jones Classics I purchased, but it'd be nice to avoid that process for only a few bucks.

I don't mind drilling some new holes as long as the pickup rings cover the existing holes (and vice versa in case I want to remove the pickups and sell the guitar later).

Ricochet likes this.
  15. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I have a set of their filtertrons in my 5420 and like them...that said, if you want to stay with humbucker sized rings, take a look at their "Dream 180" pickups...I put a set in a firefly lp style guitar and they sound great!

16. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Gretschie

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    Did you get the classics or the "hard vintage" model?

17. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Classic vintage

18. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
  19. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    These Gretsch-style pickup rings are pre-drilled with the extra holes to suspend the pickups from the rings:

https://tvjones.com/em2-gretsch-style-pickup-ring-with-mounting-screws/

The hole spacing is 1mm wider than the spacing on the GFS adapter plates, so you might need to make your own adapters out of popsicle sticks if you want to ensure a perfect fit.

Philadelphia Luthier Tools sells a Filtertron adapter plate with hole spacing that's only 0.5mm narrower than this pickup ring, so it might be close enough.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...ron-parts/filtertron-humbucker-adapter-plate/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.