Gretsch Guitars Announces The New Rich Robinson Signature Magpie Guitar

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I don't find it surprising that traditional Gretsch lovers are threatened by the new Broadtrons.
    These are closer to PAF Gibson pups than Filtertrons. Right, I think Gretsch are starting to realize that the guitar world has
    for many, many years recognized the PAF Humbucker as the the alternative to Fender Single coil dominance.
    These new Broadtron pups will get more people playing Gretch. Sadly it will alienate many of the old traditional Gretsch fans.

I don't think the "old" Filtertrons or Dynasonics have really been a success. They died with Chet and the Beatles.
    Even Chet did good things with the PAF equipped Guitars he used when he moved to Gibson.

These Broadtrons are really nice versions of the PAF sound and I for one believe the Broadtrons are a breath of fresh air for Gretsch and the way of the future for the company.

Don't really see the point in mixing the TVJ Classic with the Broadtron, but, if that is what it takes to legitimate the new pups - go for it.

2. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I love the guitar. I hope to get one early next year, if I don't like the pickups I will just swap them. The color on this thing is amazing...just wish it had the V cut Bigsby :)

I'm glad Gretsch is putting different pups in guitars. If all of their guitars had the same pickups there isn't much of a need getting more than one. Also, Magpies are absolute jerks!

3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I hate jack plates!

thunder58 likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Gorgeous color.

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Nah! I'm for the older version. This blue sparkle, no it doesn't made it for me.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :mad::eek:..................... :p

stevo likes this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But I do like jack cups...

thunder58 likes this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm not big on blue guitars, but that's not bad looking.

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    My take on the broadtrons and the player edition jets is that they are the modern gretschs for the future players, the vintage select series and the filtertrons/dynas are for the purists and I'm sure would be welcomed by any new player once they get to know them, I personally am a fan of both and think that gretsch have a great current line up especially ones like your 5220.

I do believe that the reason why gretsch didn't have the following as fender/gibson/all the other popular brands etc is that they fell into a niche market as a guitar look and players in the past like you mentioned, the baldwin era didn't do them an favors, they didn't really fit the bill with the big hair bands rock push of the 80's and they were just way too expensive of a brand when the 90's/2000's punk pop movement came through, it seems to me there is a lot more Gretschs in players hands today then ever and I think a big part of that is how good the electromatic and streamliner series are right now.

Gretschmen65 and new6659 like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I expect they won't be too popular in Oz.

There are other people that I'd like to see Sigs from---Knopfler, Townsend, etc.

audept and Stefan87 like this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Another version of a Bird. That's a good thing.

Big single cut body and long scale neck are a great tone.

Pups, another flavor offered.

There's enough versions to pick your favorite. That's a good thing too.

Personally, Sig models don't excite me as much as various specs, or combinations of specs do.

That's what counts to me.

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Signature models cost more too. I maintain that Gretsch guitars with Chet's name reinstalled, jumped up (all due respect to Chet's legacy). With the pickup tweaks you've done to your (for example) G6122, you have essentially created a G5422 Signature model (?)

G5422T likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    It seems like the "Chet" on used models helps pricing. Guess it doesn't hurt!

Guess I did create a Sig model, but my Sig on it wouldn't help sales any! Lol

'07 G6122-58

TV Ray Butts Filters
    DE Bigsby Arm
    Callaham String Through Bar
    Brass Tru-Arc bridge
    Master volume treble bleed
    Removed pick guard

20200107_161140.jpg 20200625_170113.jpg 20200722_213935.jpg 20200107_154553.jpg

I've been extremely pleased with the end results on this -58.

Would love to have the Vintage V neck profile, but the neck feels really good as is.

I'm done, and just enjoy picking with it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    new6659 and ZackyDog like this.
  14. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Next February, huh? Well, I have the winter sell off several other guitars and get a dang Jack Plate.

Drock2k1 likes this.
  15. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Niche market? Maybe, but My cue here is that while George Harrison is one of the early users of Dynasonics he dumped them once he tried Filtertron equipped guitars.
    Goodness me, back in the 60's here we were, Beatles on the top of the charts, for years, very few followed their lead and switched to Gretsch guitars. I played in a couple of house bands
    where we covered everything on the charts. We did everything Beatles on Fenders, Gibsons and at one time Burns Bison guitars. Never considered the need to adopt Gretsch to get a sound.
    I even played in a band called the "Gretschmen". Our drummer had Gretsch drums.

I think Gretsch need to establish a Historic line using old Filtertron and Dynasonic pickups and Establish their top of the line guitar range using the modern Broadtron pups.

I'm sure that Gretsch realize this now and this new signature guitar is perhaps a tentative toe in the water while what is required is a bold statement relegating the old pups to the museum of past guitar technology.

I sold a G6120 and a G6128 TDN because they are just too expensive to frig around changing pups in the hope you might be lucky.

The new Electromatics and Streamliners provide ready to use packages and as far as I'm concerned that is where my Gretsch money will be spent in future.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Stefan87 likes this.
  16. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Interesting. I have Broadtrons on a G5222 I picked up earlier this year and didn't care for them. I now have a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and left the Broadtron in the neck position alone for now. I was looking for a classic Gretsch sound (I have stacks of guitars with standard humbuckers) and I just didn't feel the Broadtrons provided that. Hence the switch. I have really no interest in a Gretsch that sounds like an LP.

17. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Yes, It is nice that we are all different.

I really like the BT Broadtrons for the fact that they don't have that classic Gretsch sound. I don't like it.
    I haven't got any other guitars with humbuckers, I have had several Gibsons and sold them all. The BT Broadtrons have a tone approaching a PAF but to my ear without any mud or boominess in the bass. Definitely not traditional Gretsch.

18. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I've got a whole bunch of humbucker-equipped guitars. I've found that, in particular, the neck pickup on these guitars will often exhibit the mud and/or boominess you don't like (not so much the bridge pickup). Gibson itself has provided solutions over the years, including inductors on the neck pickups (see the early 90's M-III configurations and the choices on the original '70's L6S guitars, as well as some switching to select parallel rather than serial humbucking options on those pickups. I've traced some of that to the size of the pickup (and distance between coils), so a few of my guitars actually have single-coil size humbuckers in the neck position.

The Broad'Tron pickup replaced in my G5222 is the bridge pickup; the BT in the neck position remains for now.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I personally don't understand the business reasons behind the signature guitar, but maybe I under estimate Robinson's influence in the guitar and rock world. Seems like if they want to stay relevant and modern, they would find a guitar player whose biggest hits weren't a generation ago.

I also don't get thr point of having trestle bracing under a carved top. The argument for a carved top is that it is more resonant over laminate, but wouldn't trestle bracing defeat that?

20. afire

afire Country Gent

Resonance would be the usual point of a carved top. But I don't know, maybe the combination of a resonant carved top muted by heavy bracing provides something different from the usual laminate and trestles combination. Or not. I have no idea, but don't discount the possibility that there is something to it.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.