Gretsch G6136-55 Falcon replacement bridge suggestions

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
Never had a Falcon (unfortunately) but I've replaced a Syncrosonic with a bar bridge on a Duo Jet.. Much more comfortable.

bluenote23

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
My Falcon has a Space Control but I would just try a bar first. Note that you will have to buy the complete bridge assembly, the bridge base and the bridge, as the Synchrosonic bridge base is not standard.

You can also get flat, lower profile screws for the Synchrosonic. I have these on a bridge that was on one of my Jets. It is more comfortable but I still found the assembly too big and bulky (so I switched that one out for a bar).

JC higgy

Gretschified
Jun 6, 2008
Belfast Norn Iron
I put the the lower screws on mine,but the head of one of them snapped off😠,i still don't like it though ,if i ever get around to swapping it out it will be a bar,hopefully a Tru Arc of some sort.

cvr31

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2013
just south of sanity
I've put Comptons on 3 Gretsches, replacing 2 tune-o-matics and 1 space control bridge. I much prefer the Compton, and bar bridges in general. One reason is that their smoothness precludes any protruding annoying edges or screws from digging into your hands, such as the OP mentioned.

sleeperNY

Gretschie
Jun 18, 2008
central NY
I have 3 Gretsch guitars and have 1 Compton and 2 TruArc bridges and they are all a big upgrade from the stock bridge's. I like the TruArc a bit better than the Compton for no reason other than I like a bar bridge a little more. It just looks more Gretsch to me.

Jim

Lockupyourfatdog

Country Gent
Aug 8, 2016
Everett wa
My falcon had the same bridge and I really liked it. I was more of a finger picker at the time and the raised screws made muting a breeze. I just hated the plastic foot it sat on. So I switched with a Gretsch rocking bar. You have to replace the foot anyway none of the other good bridges drop onto it

ishtar

Friend of Fred
Jun 30, 2008
Pensamiento Infundado, Colorado
I have replaced a lot of stock Gretsch bridges with Comptons. I am a lefty. Wayne Compton put the bridges on a couple of my guitars and they were intonated perfectly... They were all floating bridges. Pinned bridges take more adjustments, in my experience, but it is a small sample, and lefty oriented... Lots of variables. But, I think the brass Compton worked great with a 6120 and a 5191, stainless was great with a Duo Jet and an Anniversary.

Irish-Jay

Electromatic
Silver Member
Jul 2, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I've put Comptons on 3 Gretsches, replacing 2 tune-o-matics and 1 space control bridge. I much prefer the Compton, and bar bridges in general. One reason is that their smoothness precludes any protruding annoying edges or screws from digging into your hands, such as the OP mentioned.
Has anyone replaced the syncro-sonic bridge on the 55 Falcon to another type of bridge? The adjustment screws sit to high and dig into my hand when playing. All suggestions appreciated! Thanks
I also had a Compton (on my Silver Falcon). I have one on my Tennessee Rose now, and am planning on adding one to my Fortus White Falcon, which I just recently purchased. Love them!
Best success!

Mellowcat

Gretschie
Aug 22, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I like Synchros and bar bridges. If you like the sound and intonation of the stock bridge, then maybe try some low profile screws before shelling out for a new bridge? It only costs a few bucks to give it a go with different screws.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I've got a County Club that came with a Space Control. I really like the Space Control but wanted to go to a plain 3rd and also play in tune. I tried a synchro-sonic as I was hoping to fine tune the intonation but the radius wasn't close enough of a match to the fretboard. I opted for a Tru-Arc Serpentune and couldn't be happier. I went with brass but may also grab a copper one sometime down the road when I've got some extra money to throw around. I also kept my Space Control because I really liked the sound and feel but I'll only use it with a wound 3rd due to the intonation. I have to say, I was super excited to get the synchro-sonic because I love the look of it and the ability to fine tune the set-up (I'm often playing around with string gauges and like to mix things up). For the short time I had it on my guitar, I didn't experience the discomfort others have mentioned but had I kept it, I planned to swap out the screws if that became a problem for me.

Good luck!

smile-4-me

Electromatic
Dec 3, 2022
USA
I have the same falcon as pictured above and my problem with the bridge is that I can’t palm mute. I’m considering some type of roller saddle tune o mastic style. I believe you have to replace the wooden piece underneath to do that.