Gretsch G6119T-62 Vintage Select Tuners

Kowpoke Kid

Electromatic
Hey guys and gals, First post in a while.
I just got this beautiful guitar home and am loving it to death.
This is my first experience with TV Jones HiLoTrons and they are absolutely killer clear. I love them!

One thing has me a little concerned is I’ve noticed the tuners are a little wonky on both the E strings.
By wonky I mean, it has a slight play where the shaft engages into the brass gear.
Tuners are stamped, “Grover”, the guitar is made in Japan!

After some research the Grover V98N with a gear ratio of 14:1 appears to be what comes on this model.
They are made in Taiwan.
https://grotro.com/product/sta-tite-98-series/

I would like to change these out for Waverly’s or some other DROP IN REPLACEMENTS.
I have looked around the net and do not see any.
I was wondering if anyone here has successfully found replacements that just drop in with no modifications?
What say you all?

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
Good luck with your quest. I too have a Tenny, the '62 Limited Edition Rosewood with Grover tuners. I've not experienced your issue but understand that could be frustrating.

loopy reed

Electromatic
Nov 7, 2022
Nashville TN
Allparts is pretty good about having detailed drawings of the crucial dimensions for tuning keys. I'd say get your calipers, take a key off, start comparing measurements. Measure the keys, not the holes on the guitar.

Kowpoke Kid

Electromatic
Allparts is pretty good about having detailed drawings of the crucial dimensions for tuning keys. I'd say get your calipers, take a key off, start comparing measurements. Measure the keys, not the holes on the guitar.
loopy reed,
Thanks for your reply and a heads up on using Allparts.
It has been so long, I forgot about them🤷‍♂️
It looks like I may have to alter the headstock at some point. Something I would rather not do!
I simply don’t get why these manufacturers do not offer better grade tuners that just drop in without modification? Grover for example has the Taiwan 14:1 that is on my guitar and what looks to be a higher quality 18:1 version open back but with different tolerances!

Will attempt to measure out everything on the next string change.
Thanks again for your thoughts👍

Kowpoke Kid

Electromatic
audept,
Hey, thanks for the welcome!
You made me realize I haven’t updated my profile in AGES🤷‍♂️
So I just did it👍
Originally from Hawaii now retired in Tennessee!
Go figure from Aloha to ya’all🙂

Last time I visited was when I got my Horton Heat 6120.
Purchased in Hawaii at Island Guitars in Honolulu.
A great store run by great people…..Neil and Jim!
It was a good guitar with a wrong fit for me so I sold it.
The 6119 is smaller, and those HiLo trons pack a punch that I really like.
Hope to drop in once in a while and have some fun!
Cheers mate

Kowpoke Kid

Electromatic
Good luck with your quest. I too have a Tenny, the '62 Limited Edition Rosewood with Grover tuners. I've not experienced your issue but understand that could be frustrating.
rake_ether,
Thanks…..
Your limited addition sounds like it’s made in Japan? Mine is MIJ and came with the Taiwan tuners…..Grover stamped V98n tuners @14:1 gear ratio.

Mine seem OK for the present time and is decent regarding staying in tune.
They feel a bit, “airy and loose” if that makes any sense! I have the impression due to their feel that quality is on the low scale. I’m trying to get used to that.
BTW…..all the screws are tight/snug from day one!

I have a couple of Martins with Waverly’s and it might just be I’m used to the solid tight feel of those Waverly’s 🤷‍♂️

I stopped by the dealer in Knoxville yesterday, Lanes Music, they were very accommodating!
They want to see the guitar and go from there!
The salesman mentioned that, “occasionally”, once in a while, they may see the issue on some of the tuners but for the most part, it’s somewhat rare.

I really don’t want to drill or modify the instrument at this juncture.
I would upgrade in a heartbeat if I could get a high quality drop in.

I may get in touch with Fender at some point and see what they say about it!
Thanks again

petit professeur

Electromatic
Nov 25, 2009
Marseille, France
Hi,
I will try first to order an inexpésive replacement set of Grovers, they are on a lot of Japanese proline and they work well. I have an Annie and a DuoJet with them, they are not that bad. They are direct replacement with nothing to do, if they don’t fit sell them or return them.

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
The Gretsch factory Grovers have a little different "footprint" for the mounting screws, and a different shaped mounting plate, than the retail offered Grovers.

FYI

Latest posts