Gretsch G5655TG Electromatic Centre Block Jr Review.

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Roy Clark, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I love this G5655TG electromatic. Any one own one? How thin is the body?

2. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I just measured my 5622 at 1 1/2", and the 5655 looks awfully close, based on what I saw in the video. Certainly no thicker than that.

3. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    So is it really thin? And have you played or owned one?

4. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    It's comfortably thin. I own one. It's 1.75" deep. I've owned it almost a year, still delighted with it.

There's now a few of us on the site who own these. Myself, Snow, GlenP, Aleksandar, SetzerHotRod, HiddenHorror, Todd2 has a G5657T (natural finish timber with chrome), BanditCosmo, Kraesj...... Those who don't own them list as negatives the tension bar Bigsby, the Blacktop Broadtrons, and some complain about them being centre blocks (though it's more accurate to say centre rails - a spruce rail down each side of the pickup. Far from as solid/heavy as a centreblock as you'd find in an ES). But those of us who own them are generally rather happy.

GlenP, section2 and new6659 like this.
  5. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't own one, and since the guitar shops are closed, I haven't had a chance to play one. While my preferrence is for the FilterTrons, I would like to try this out before I make any further comments.
    It is assuring to hear that so many are happy with theirs.

6. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Gretsch specs say 1-3/4" but mine actually measures out at 1-5/8" so yes pretty thin. It's the first Jr size I've owned and not being a big guy I quite like it. I bought it used and the pickups had already been changed to HS Trons which sound great. The original blacktops went in an old Junior Jet replacing mini-hums which was an improvement for that guitar but the HS Trons by far outperform the Blacktop BT's. The Bigsby was changed from a licensed to a US version. Tension bar Bigsbys don't bother me in the least as long the as the break angle isn't severe. On this guitar it is severe so I added a BiggsFix and all is good. One day I'll get around to modifying the pick guard to fit the larger surrounds of the HS Trons.

3.jpg

Merc, section2 and new6659 like this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Gorgeous guitar. I'm curious about those moon inlays—are they stickers? They look great.

8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Thanks! Yes they are overlays from https://neckillusions.com/. The back story is the previous owner must have been going for a poor mans Broadkaster which is cool by me especially for the price I got it for. But he used too large of a head stock plate and turned it vertically instead of the normal horizontal which I couldn't live with. I started with dice to cover the screw holes but it wasn't really me. I found the howling canine that just covered the holes but in order for that to make sense to me, added the moon phases overlays for a dog howling at the moon theme. The truss rod cover has been changed back to a plain one since the photos - way too much was going on. How's that for a long answer to an easy question?

12.jpg

2.jpg

JT19, tolm, Merc and 3 others like this.
  9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I love it!

dak55 likes this.
  10. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    1.75", same as a Gibson ES335.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.