Gretsch G5230T Tuners

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Jul 7, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Hi. I hope you are happy and well.

My name is ZackyDog. I am a Gretsch-aholic. I like sweet, cute and petite ladies, as well as break, cha cha and mambo dancing. I also like pizza, sushi and Mexican food.

I've read about people upgrading their G5230T tuners but ask, why? They seem to hold tune as good as my Grover Imperials. Maybe my G5230T was set up very well? I also use good quality (Pyramid) strings.

Thoughts.

[​IMG]
    upload_2020-7-7_20-6-48.png

Merc likes this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IMO, it's all about the guitar's set up.

If the nut is cut correctly and there's no bridge issues, the big battle is over.

Part of the set up is stringing a guitar properly. If one knows how to string correctly, most tuners will do just fine.

Rarely are tuners the tuning stability problem, and if strings are put on incorrectly, tuning stability stinks at best with any tuner.

Now, how long will cheap tuners last? When will they get really sloppy and some fall apart? Anyones guess, but probably quicker than a high quality tuner.

Until this happens, I just keep using what's on the guitar.

Gregor and ZackyDog like this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Zackydog, I like pizza, sushi and mexican food too, I also have 5230T that holds tune fine and have no issues with the standard tuners either and have no feeling to change them, we have a bit in common lol.

I haven't restrung mine yet but anytime I change my strings I do what Gretsch/Fender recommend in the manuals when it comes to restringing and am yet to have any issues, I'm not a big bigsby user so don't really suffer from that either.

Seeing as you mentioned about your imperials I have always wondered when you have mentioned your other guitar being 2500 miles away what the story was behind that lol

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Thanks for stopping by; I enjoy your posts but...

I don't see any dancing mentioned in your reply. Will you please think about taking up (at least) some mambo dancing?(!)

upload_2020-7-7_22-42-29.jpeg

My G6122 is still in storage, 2500 miles away. Hopefully, that will be changing soon. It's a long story and I wouldn't dream of burdening you with the sordid details. Nonetheless, thanks for asking.
    Best wishes,
    ZD

Stefan87 likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lol well I'm sure my wife would love to try out some form of dancing but can't see that happening anytime soon, full credit to those styles of dancing and dancers as it seems so much more sophisticated and classy then I am, will happily watch on the sidelines though.

Fair enough, well hopefully it is home with you soon, I too enjoy your posts.

Thanks, would love to see some pics of your G6122, modern is cool don't get me wrong but I'm a sucker for anything vintage and would love a vintage two tone anniversary.

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I just like locking tuners. That's why I did it.

Merc, dougmon, ZackyDog and 1 other person like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think the Gretsch tuners work just fine. I also think locking tuners are much more convenient. People just like different stuff. Why eat sushi when textured protein squeeze is much more affordable? Because.:D

Wjensen and ZackyDog like this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    De nada.

I hope you get one:

[​IMG]

I had the pleasure of playing a vintage one circa 1995 in NYC through a vintage Fender Deluxe reverb. It was undeniably the Great Gretsch Sound (!)

Maybe I can come up with a way to cover your dance lessons through a new, Gretsch-Talk Dance Instruction Fund Me?
    ;)

Merc and Stefan87 like this.
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    This was a surprise to find at the supermarket. So this is what you do for a living?
    textured sushi.png

Henry and MrWookiee like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve found most tuners can hold as good as locking tuners if strung up right. The name Locking derives more from the way it clamps down on strings. But I absolutely love the quick change aspect of locking tuners.

Stefan87 and ZackyDog like this.
  12. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I must admit that I have ranted and railed against swapping out the original tuners when nut issues are/were the tuning culprit. True confession aside, I also have to admit that I have replaced the tuners on Joan, my G5245 Double Jet. The cheap Chinese G string tuner developed a very annoying “CLICK” sound when turning the key, and others had become quite sloppy. Adjustments, tightening, etc. offered no improvement.

Rather than go cheap, I was looking at Grovers, and I discovered the locking style were only $5 more than the standard type.

So now I’m confessing that I am enjoying the locking tuners on my Jet, but they were changed out of necessity, and only after the nut had been addressed. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    ZackyDog likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Most tuning issues are at the nut, not the tuner. I've found that the stock tuners are fine as is. Use the right winding technique, stretch the strings, and don't drink the locking tuner Kool Aid.

I never really got into dancing. I played the music, they danced. I can waltz and polka (I'm Polish, it's the law). If I tried break dancing, I'd break something. I'm old, arthritic, and fragile.

I like cute ladies as well, but my wife would object. She's still my cutie.

Keep your sushi, I'll go for the pizza, kielbasa and pierogi.

Wjensen, Merc, Jeff67 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Eat sushi for a living? I wish!

ZackyDog likes this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Textured sushi ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.