Gretsch G5220 and Overdrive

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by JPHster, Jul 13, 2021.

1. JPHster

JPHster Electromatic

Oct 3, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I’m curious what Pedals G5220 or Electromatic Jet owners use for an overdrive pedal! Is there a specific type of overdrive for Rhythm guitarists that might work better for these guitars than others overdrive pedals? I know a lot is preference and the amp matters to, but just curious if some overdrives are better suited for the Broadtrons.

Thanks

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Nothing special needed.
    Any good OD pedal works fine with BTs :D

3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

My 5220 sounds especially good with a Nocturne Ubangi Stomp

TomK likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    IME the 5220 takes dirt like a champ, period. Pick your poison and get to it. If you like more premium stuff, a lot of us around here really appreciate the Nocturne range of offerings.

Tele295 likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Like others said, so many ODs out there and Gretsch tron style pickups work well with most pedals. But I am sure you want something more specific. OD I interpret as ranging from light break up to medium gain.

Ones I suggest you check out:
    1. Nocturne Fluid Drive, a favorite of many here.
    2. Timmy by MXR, a legendary pedal that was never expensive and even more affordable now.
    3. JRAD Melody or Rockaway Archer - I've never actually aged but I have their Dude which is a good pedal, which I really like. I am an eq convert and I think having more and simpler eq options can really make a gain pedal. Dial in or out as much fart or fizz as you want!

6. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

#1) I’ve never aged either
    #2) You actually WANT fart and/or fizz?!

Henry likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol, I have to admit, I spend all day either reading or writing, with telephone breaks. I tend to slack off on the writing QC after hours . . . Otherwise I'd have to charge my hourly rate.
    1) I meant "tried"
    2) I prefer to dial it out but who knows what others want?

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.