Gretsch G450M Synchromatic Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by SuperB23, Oct 2, 2011.

1. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    Hey Guys,

I just bought a minty one of these from Guitar Center in Phoenix Arizona. Its a G450M Synchromatic. I'm having trouble finding definite info on it. Rocky at Street Sounds has one which has some good info about it.

My 2011 Vintage Guitar Price Guide says the G450 is a spruce top carved 17" wide Synchromatic and the G450M is a Maple version. The guitar I have and the one Rocky is selling both say G450M and they both have Carved Solid Spruce tops and floating jazz pickups.

Any one on here have any more info on these G450M models??

2. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    I think that you're the expert now.

From what I could find from a web search, it was marketed by Gretsch from 1966 to 2002.

From Rocky's pictures, I'd say it was built up from the G400/G6040 guitars being built at that time. The G400/G6040 had cat's eye sound holes and none of them had a floating pickup. This makes your guitar special.

The serial numbers at the time had the build year as the first two digits. You should be able to see the nameplate tag through the top f-hole.

Scroll to Modern (Pre-Fender) Serial Numbers

I'm curious about the top bracing. The electric series G400's had parallel braces that run parallel and either side of the neck. This made a convenient place to mount the Filtertron pickup. The acoustic G400's had an X-braced top. These braces crossed somewhere under the bridge. The X-braced guitars should be a bit louder.

I'm also curious about the pickup. It looks like a Gibson humbucker but probably not.

I am a G400CV owner and a fan of the big box Synchromatic guitars.

Here's mine.

I saw one listed on the GC site. If you got it at that price, you did well.

Please put up some pictures! We are all curious!

Lee

3. ronbow

ronbow Electromatic

Nov 21, 2009
    st louis mo
    IIRC, the 450 was introduced early 90's, as a special issue amidst the Gretsch resurgence of Japanese-constructed models. In this case, the 450 represented the re-introduction of the Synchromatic line, as reflected by the premium American-made Heritage archtop. Note that the 450 does not have the big beautiful Gretsch-style f-holes but the smaller ones as used by Heritage.

4. robatsu

robatsu Electromatic

Sep 13, 2009
    Silver Spring
    I just purchased one of these and it is now in the process of being shipped to me.

The seller took it to his luthier, who reported that it is x-braced.

Supposedly, only 50 of these were made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.