Gretsch G2622

Blueswaite

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2022
Ohio
Had trouble staying in tune with G2627T with the Bixby Trem and .009 strings so got the G2622 in two Tone sunburst. Beautiful lookin guitar. See if I can get locking tuners for it.
Thanks

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
My 2622 with standard tuners strung with 10s or 11s stays in tune for a long time. I can leave it in the case for a few weeks, take it out and it will either be in tune or only slightly off on a few strings.

Blueswaite

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2022
Ohio
Well had trouble getting G string to intonate ran out of adjustment still sharp. Turned saddle around and now ok. But got to try and put saddle retainer wire back on. Will get a set up on it.Nut needs slotted correctly I believe keep going out of tune so I decided to push down on string behind the nut and it would go sharp and not return to tuning. Took pencil and went into slot. That helped alot
would take it back but finish is great and is easy for me to play.
thanks

Stingray70

Gretschie
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
Is there a better bridge for this that will fit.
thanks
Lots of better choices... I think the best choices are the Faber and Tonepros 2, both for metric. If you go with the Faber you'll need to buy adapter posts to fit. The posts aren't cheap, like $38 a pair from Faber. There are cheaper M8 adapter post choices on eBay but the fit will probably be sloppy... So, I'd go Tonepros.

Gotoh is another slightly cheaper option but I've had several Gotoh bridges that rattled a little.. That kindda defeats the whole purpose...

One thing to keep in mind with these bridges is that most of them are going to come with only starter string slots. You will need to slot the bridge saddles or have it done. It's not hard to do... if you have the right files. If not and you file the slots too wide you may get string buzz.

If you want the cheapest, easy alternative that is often passable and probably won't rattle try a Wilkinson bridge with springs on each saddle screw. They are pre-slotted but the slots may not match your strings very well. Sometimes they sound a bit dull...

If you have the Bigsby there are plenty of roller bridge options as well. With these there are some issues with sticky rollers or rollers that rattle. Some of the roller bridges sit noticeably higher then stock so you may need to lower the bridge posts more so you might want to see how much adjustment you have...

Last edited:

Irish-Jay

Electromatic
Silver Member
Jul 2, 2015
Vancouver, WA
My 2622 with standard tuners strung with 10s or 11s stays in tune for a long time. I can leave it in the case for a few weeks, take it out and it will either be in tune or only slightly off on a few strings.
I have 10’s on every Gretsch I own, with the exception of my reso, acoustic & baritone. You are right; they sound great and stay in tune. My Silver Falcon came with 12’s and a few years worth of finger calluses didn’t seem to matter! 😂

Blueswaite

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2022
Ohio
Up in my years had trouble getting bridge saddle retaining wire on took it to tech
he put it on checked nut slots; checked relief, set intonation with petersen Strobe Tuner checked for fret buzz. Plays like a charm now. Holding off on bridge for now but going to order the Grover 502c Locking Tuners. I get tire wrapping strings and they make changing them a lot faster. Will probably change to a bone nut. Saw couple at GC today but string spacing was a little off. They were pre slotted.
Thanks

SneakyPete

Gretschie
Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2022
Australia
If/when you start to think you might like to replace your bridge, it's definitely worth looking at a solid bar bridge. I have Compton bridges on a couple of my guitars and the feel and sound is much better in my opinion. Tru-Arc is another brand worth looking at.