Gretsch for jazz

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dlew919, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    The Telecaster is a very popular jazz guitar. If you can play jazz on a Tele you can do it on a Gretsch!

Craig Encinitas, Aymara and dlew919 like this.
  2. HOYERGEORGE

HOYERGEORGE Electromatic

Oct 19, 2010
    Seattle
    Got here too late to mention Cal Collins other than the fact that he recorded several solo albums on the Concord label.

gretschbigsby likes this.
  3. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    I play primary fingerstyle and jazz-flavored stuff on my G6120T. I also have an Epiphone Joe Pass. I have Labella Jazz Flats on both (11s on the Gretsch, 12s on the JP). The JP has perhaps a little more of a "traditional" jazz-box tone, relatively dark rich and warm, but the Gretsch gives a bright sparkle to the music while retaining the warmth. They're both great, just a little different. I have a "mud switch" on my Gretsch, and I find the switch-down position (the lesser of the two high-cuts) to be extremely useful for jazz tones, but still I use it wide-open most of the time.

I've been trying to improve my flat-picking technique lately and I always reach for the 6120 for that. It's partly because of the difference in strings, but also because the 6120 just feels so dang good in my hands. But that's not to knock the JP; it's really a sweet axe, and a fantastic value.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  4. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Gretschie

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I usually use a Gretsch for my jazz gigs. Lately it's been my Broadcaster Jr.

5. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    It's one of the photos of the actual session for "the george benson cookbook".
    Sounds like jazz to me... :p

MichaelRopp and dlew919 like this.
  6. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    Gretsch currently have 3 dedicated Jazz models, although none are part of the Professional Collection:

G100CE Synchromatic

G9555 New Yorker

G2420 Streamliner

The New Yorker and the Synchromatic both have full floating pickups. The Synchromatic has a 25.5" scale length Rosewood fretboard
    and bridge, but a laminated Spruce top. The New Yorker has a shorter 25" scale length, a Padauk fretboard and bridge, but a solid spruce top.
    It's also got Grover Sta-Tite tuners whereas the Synchromatic has generic Korean open back tuners.

The Streamliner would be comparable to the Epiphone ES-175, especially because it's all alminate, has the Adjust-o-matic bridge, two humbuckers
    (BT-IIs) and the Gibson/Guild 24.75" scale length.

MichaelRopp, dlew919 and Groutsch like this.
  7. Desirsar

Desirsar Electromatic

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Semi-hollow for the sustain and feedback, pickups for twang, heaviest Cobalts they make with a wound third to make sure I get all the low end (plus higher output over the entire range), full range overdrive pedal. Funk, punk, rockabilly, metal... I can make any sound I want come out.

dlew919 likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have two Lefty-Ized "Gretsch Jazz Boxes", which can be converted to electricity on demand thanks to a custom Kent Armstrong Monkey-on-a-Stick pickup :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have that Johnny Smith and the like smooth and warm jazz tone :rolleyes:, but they deserve that I play them more often... :oops:

A+!

RRGuitarCo, new6659, Groutsch and 4 others like this.
  9. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Synchromatic

For me a Gretsch hollowbody is a perfect Jazz-machine

dlew919 likes this.
  10. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    I Forgot to mention that both the Syncromatic G100CE and the G9555 New Yorker have 16" wide bodies. My older 2007 G100CE has a 3.25" body depth like the ES-175, but I believe later versions have the standard 2.75" body depth, as do the New Yorker and the G2420 Sreamliver, which I has a 17" wide body like the Guild X-175 Manhattan. It's a pretty big guitar.

Himmm, might need to change my signature. There's now the Guild X-175 Manhattan Special and the Godin 5th Avenue Uptown T-Armond. They both rival the G6120 w Dynasonics. Bring back the G512x models I say!

Groutsch likes this.
  11. Groutsch

Groutsch Synchromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Beautiful guitars! (especially the one with cat's eyes)

I'd heard the name Johnny Smith but I never heard his playing before clicking on the video you shared. Wow, what a musician. I think I've found tonight's rabbit hole.

hcsterg and Electrosynthesis like this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    This recording of Ipanema was made on a Johnny Smith Model Gibson, which was basically an hot-rodded L-5 C with an Epiphone mini Humbucker suspended.

Im loving that picture on the YouTube video. That’s Johnny’s Epiphone Triumph. A friend of mine is the current owner and I’ve played it myself. That is one of the sweetest archtops I’ve ever laid hands on.

Johnny was a phenomenon. His ability with thirds I was amazing. He was a very unpretentious guy.

hcsterg likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    These are a G400 from 1991 (thanks again @Andrew Griffin for the dimensions of the pickguard that was missing) and a G100 from 2008 - both Lefty-Ized and Re-Pickguarded... ;)

And yes, I'd like to play like Johnny Smith too ! :cool::rolleyes:

A+!

14. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    I thought it only fair to add some demo videos of the guitars I mentioned above, specifically being used for Jazz:

Gretsch G100CE Synchromatic Demo:

Gretsch G9555 New Yorker Demo:

Gretsch G2420 Streamliner Demo:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.