Join Gretsch-Talk Today

For Sale Gretsch Duo Jet TDS-2009

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell or Trade Negotiations' started by MartyT, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    This one-of-a-kind Jet was built at the Terada factory in 2009. It is loaded with Tyson P-90's in Dynasonic casings. They sound great, much like Dynasonics when clean, but they break up sooner. It's fairly lightweight at 7.5 lbs, and very resonant. Jake Tuel of Burning River Guitars stripped the polyurethane and did a first rate nitro refinish. It has a beautiful thin finish which has already begun to check very lightly. The binding is slightly yellowed and the back and sides are brown, like a vintage Jet. There was no artificial aging or relicing done to this guitar. An unbleached bone nut was installed and the stock ebony bridge base was replaced with a stained rosewood base, which is pinned. A stainless steel Tru Arc was also added. I believe that these mods have brought it up to Custom Shop standards. There is one small blemish near the bridge, and another on the bottom side, but the camera doesn't pick them up. Comes with a brand new Gretsch hardshell case.

Asking $1150 plus shipping within the continental US only. Duo Jet copy.jpg

This is a very unique, phenomenal sounding Duo Jet. A real sweetheart. Local pickup in Philly /South Jersey.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  3. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Continental US only. Sorry.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. slimwilson

slimwilson Gretschie

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
  6. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I had it listed higher and was getting zero interest. Now I'm pricing it to sell because I need the cash.

7. slimwilson

slimwilson Gretschie

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Hhmm, this intrigues me. I'd like to know more about the pick ups

8. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    The pickups were hand wound by Bobby Tyson at Tyson Tone labs. https://www.tysontone.com/

He makes great pickups and IMO, his P-90's sound like the old ones. Really sweet, nasty and warm, all at the same time. He had to shave the bobbins to fit into the Dynasonic casing. They are excellent pickups by any standard. I wanted P-90's because they compress more than Dynasonics. That's the sound I was after. But they sound great clean too. The bridge pickup has a fat Tele twang. But it sounds like a Duo jet. A really good, old Jet.

I have a nice little stable of guitars, and unfortunately for me, the Jet was the odd one out. But believe me when I tell you, this guitar is a STEAL for whoever pulls the trigger. I can't understand why it hasn't sold yet. Maybe the P-90's scare off the hardcore Gretsch players. But the tone, feel and vibe of this guitar are head and shoulders above any stock Jet, and I'll put it right there with anything from Stern's custom shop. I bought one of his Jets from Wildwood a few years ago, and sent it back.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That's an awefull lot of guitar for the money. Good luck!

10. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We've had the discussion about a million times regarding whether you really can get a Proline for not much more than an Electromatic. Well, here you go. And with a pro nitro refin to boot.

I have to say, more/better pics would probably really be helpful to those potentially interested.

larryb likes this.
  11. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    If so, why not write UK instead of USA on the box when you post it?

There really isn't much difference in the shipping process and you've already had one interested party over this way.

Uncle Daddy and Ricochet like this.
  12. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The new CITES regs make it scary to post a guitar to Europe. The prospect of having it seized because you can't come up with a certificate for rosewood/ebony/mahogany is going to be offputting for some.

13. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Right. Unfortunately, shipping a guitar to Europe is more trouble than it's worth.

14. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Every day's a school day huh. That really doesn't sound like fun at all. :(

15. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Oh my, what a lovely guitar.
    It has all the features I'd like in my dream guitar (it's a Gretsch, it has P90s, it's black) minus one:
    The location, as I'm in Italy.
    Life isn't fair sometimes.

16. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    That's unfortunate. But allow me to commend you on your fine taste in guitars!

17. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    man, good luck with this-I've said it before, but if I had the money....well, you get the idea!