Gretsch custom shop guitars and their lack of detail

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by gretschcrush, Jul 8, 2014.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

That's one thing they don't seem too particular about. They call the script logo Jets '55 too.

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    To their defense... clarifying information as to the features that make up each model year has only recently become available.

3. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    hahaha
    ;)

4. RepentOrPerish

RepentOrPerish Synchromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    It bugs me that the Jets aren't as thick as the vintage ones, especially when they CLAIM that they measure down to the exact detail. The relic dark roundup comes to mind. The body outline of the 6120's isn't exactly the same as the Fifties ones, most notably the cutaway shape. That said, I love them all, both old and new, but the claims of measuring the Cochran guitar and then just using the existing body template is just...I dunno......I believe this is the type of thing the OP had in mind.

5. streed_2

streed_2 Electromatic

Dec 22, 2013
    nevada
    Here is a custom shop "Country gentleman" 12 string. It is supposed to be a replica of Mike Nesmith's 12 string. It is a nice guitar, but is not a true replica of that guitar. The headstock appears to be a Terada 12 string for a late model 12 string. Also, the Gretsch model 6076 had a different tailpiece. In defense of the custom shop, this guitar was ordered almost three years ago and back then could not do anything with the headstock.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...p-country-gentleman-12-string-electric-guitar

6. streed_2

streed_2 Electromatic

Dec 22, 2013
    nevada
    posted in wrong place

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I can see what you're talking about to a degree. My 6120's headstock overlay kinda bugs me, because it's a flame maple veneer that's finished more red than Gretsch Orange, and doesn't seem to go with the body wood grain or color. The logo and horse shoe look nice to me though. That said, I don't care....I love that guitar! But, points taken.

8. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't see anything wrong with the headstock. If you zoom in close, you can see that the logo is an old-style wonky looking inlay, not the Terada overlay. But if you're talking about the shape of it, I wouldn't know what to look for.
    But the tailpiece is wrong. They also haven't bothered to do a 100% correct Roundup tailpiece, which also has a straight string retainer, not the curved type.
    And one last minor nit to pick - the mute felt should be black, not red.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.