Gretsch Auction at Julien's

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bigsbyguy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Bigsbyguy

Bigsbyguy Electromatic

Jan 25, 2009
    New Mexico
    Did any of you that attended get pictures of Bigsby's Pick-up winder? I have no doubt the Sample case he built for his trip to Europe. He built his cases and that one smacks of his work. My Bigsby book is packed away, where it belongs, but it might even say that? Both were won by the same bidder, #801. Sure hope the winder will make pups again, but I kinda doubt it will.
    They must have saved every prototype. Never seen that word used so many times! And more RI Bigsby guitars than I've ever seen or heard of. I've never had one in my hands or heard one live but I think Fred Stuart made the pups. When they first appeared I remember not so good reviews of them from a savvy player pal, and they didn't last long on the shelves. The double cut, double guard with B3 would have been my choice.
    Having one of the Gretsch benches would have been cool and they went reasonable, assuming you didn't need shipping! The Fender amps were great to see but 3k+ for a brown Reverb unit?

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Jay Scott helped to promote the adage that "Every Gretsch guitar is a prototype". In this auction... it was almost true!

cmatthes and drmilktruck like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I love the green 6120N.

4. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Here are some more gratuitous pictures of it. Currently it is at the luthiers. He is going to make it playable. It was never set up after being built. Just assembled. 20210326_094807_Film4.jpg 20210326_094801_Film4.jpg 20210326_112135_Film4.jpg 20210326_111824_Film4.jpg

Hammerhead and cmatthes like this.
  5. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Don't cut yourself on that sharp florentine cutaway!!

audept likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nnnnn...

7. Natpark1

Natpark1 Newbie

Mar 30, 2021
    US/TX

They ended up shipping my four guitars next day air, which is probably why the price was so high, good thing is I now have my guitars.

8. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Thanks for coming back and updating. So we now know the shipping service has some white glove aspects.

Archtops likes this.
  9. cmatthes

cmatthes Electromatic

Mar 21, 2010
    DC 'Burbs
    Sorry for the delayed reply! The final auction stated "1 Bid", which doesn't make sense because I personally bid twice in the pre-auction and was outbid after the first one. I'm not complaining - I'm happy with what I got, but my lot was $450 going into the live auction with my max bid of $600 placed a week before. I think I got outbid originally in the pre-auction with my $400 max bid.

10. cmatthes

cmatthes Electromatic

Mar 21, 2010
    DC 'Burbs
    Ah! I snagged a 1990 6129, but instead of the Silver Sparkle Nitron top (or the "Bright Yellow" the catalog described it as) it was finished in a pale orange that Gretsch called "Pumkin" (their misspelling, not mine!). The auction stated no case and that it was missing all knobs, switches, bridge and pickguard. Not a problem, because I have most of the stuff I needed here anyway and was going to swap out the stock FilterTrons with a new TVJ set. The guitar arrived in a brand new and correct Gretsch case, and there was a padded envelope taped to the inside of the box (that I almost took out for the recycling the next morning). Inside was the original bridge, the original "G" knobs, Switchcraft jack, and the original pickguard with the protective film with the "Made In Japan" sticker on it. When I removed the backplate, the pots, switch and wiring were also coiled up inside. I'll still probably replace the jack and pots along with the TVJ upgrade, but I was really pleasantly surprised to get a complete guitar. I've also got a Gretch-branded B-3 that may take the spot of the "G" Tailpiece that it came with.

Off for a buffing, assembly and set up, and I'll be good to go!

Archtops likes this.
  11. 80tiger

80tiger Electromatic

May 7, 2021
    Northwest Louisiana
  12. 80tiger

80tiger Electromatic

May 7, 2021
    Northwest Louisiana
    I was charged $524 for four guitars to Louisiana. Two had no cases but they were packed like tanks in a cardboard protective matrix bubble wrapped with foam peanuts in an outer box. Another auction I got two guitars and two amps and they were all packed in one wooden crate with foam, etc. They pack well and were reasonable I felt.

Ike

13. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I did get two items from the Julien’sauction. The two catalog books which I’m happy to have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.