Gretsch Auction at Julien's

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bigsbyguy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Congrats to you guys that won your bids!

I was following Lot 157, an "incomplete" Superaxe that I thought might make a nice project guitar. Just as well I never put in a bid. Estimated at $300-500, it wound up going for over $1,100! - Waaaay above my pay grade for a parts project. LoL!

Such is life. I didn't have much luck when I went to Danny Gatton's estate auction either.

Sure is. Might as well say "whenever we get around to it"!

cmatthes likes this.
  2. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    So circa $350 a guitar wasn't too far off. If you didn't get hit for sales tax that's a consolation. They told me that they only charged sales tax for California and New York destinations/collections.

My drummer got a snare drum and said it's $80 to pack and ship (to New York).

3. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Of course I had to go look at lot 684. Cool one. I am sure people wouldn't mind if backstory were divulged here, if at all possible. I wonder how a 57 has filtertrons as a starting point.

j.s.c likes this.
  4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I agree... and the owner should consider posting a NGD thread dedicated to it once we have a chance to verify some of the story/theory by carefully inspecting the guitar, which... sounds like it could be a few week! Stay tuned ya'll!

5. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    That one was hiding in plain site too. Pics don't do it justice. The contrast in colors from the sides to the back is magnificent.

6. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I went with 3 guitars on my short list. I got the top two of the three. One was the 1990 Setzer Nashville Green Tiger. Production number 6. The other was the Cadillac Green M2000 prototype, that is what I know as the New Nashville. Good day.
    And I have to say again what an awesome job Julien's does. Total blast. 20210329_185802_Film4.jpg

Henry, drmilktruck, cmatthes and 5 others like this.
  7. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I'm the guy you beat for that green Setzer Sig model (after the gravel fell)... but big congrats on a great score!!

Shock likes this.
  8. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I am sorry. As you can tell, I was on a mission for it. One I wanted to add to the herd. Yet will not quite make it to the herd.

Ironically I will not be playing it. It will be put away due to the provenance. I have been thinking about it, and it is one of those guitars that is too nice to play. I didn't really realize going into it the gravity of some of these instruments. Tom Petty.jpg

9. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, buddy!

Shock likes this.
  10. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I made it home! Wild trip but fun. There were a few that came through and got their dream guitars. It was nice, we would clap for each other when someone would get one. Even the people that were working there were getting into it.

T-Bawler likes this.
  11. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    My drummer in NYC bought a snare drum at the auction. When I looked at the lot he bought it said "1 bid" and the price was well above the projected price range.

So I asked him, "how can you have paid so much over the estimate when you were the only bidder?" "For this in effect means that Julien's takes the proxy bid you put in and makes its maximum the hammer price unless your proxy is out bid." He said, "yes".

To illustrate what I'm saying, if something is bidding at $100, and you put in $500; on eBay and any auction I've ever known for that matter, your final bid will only go as high as the next highest bidder is willing to take you--not automatically to your max bid. Thus, if someone bids $125, your auto proxy bid is $150 and so on up to your $500.

With Julien's they put the hammer on my drummer's max bid price, even though per the Julien's website, there was only one bid on that lot!

I scoured the Julien's terms and conditions and there is no so provision to allow for this. I told him to take it up with them. I think this is pretty outrageous but the result for that lot on the site shows that my conclusion has to be the correct one. There is no way there can only be "one bid" that's almost 2x the projected result.

12. afire

afire Country Gent

I would not be happy to have my bid handled that way.

13. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    upload_2021-3-31_20-25-47.png

You can see why I raised the issue.

EDIT: I've now been informed that the $512 seen above includes the premium. But the max bid put in by my drummer was $400. Juliens took the $400 as the opening bid despite their $100-200 estimate. That is to me sharp practices.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  14. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    beautiful score!

Shock likes this.
  15. cmatthes

cmatthes Electromatic

Mar 21, 2010
    DC 'Burbs
    Not sure that's the whole picture. I bid on a number of items in the pre-live bid. The one that I won, I got at my high bid of $600, but it only shows "1 Bid". I'm not sure that they count the pre-bids. I originally bid $400 on my guitar, then two days later, another bidder bid $450. I put in a max bid of $600 and walked away, with the bid price showing (pre-live auction) at $450. The day of the auction, there was a single bidder who bid me up to $600, which is where the auction ended with me as the high bidder. The 25% auction premium and 3% CC fee took me to exactly $768, which is what I was invoiced for by Julien's.

At any rate, it may be that there was only one "live" auction bid that triggered a pre-auction max bid.

16. cmatthes

cmatthes Electromatic

Mar 21, 2010
    DC 'Burbs
    It is a well-documented scientific FACT that green guitars sound better!

JeffreyLeePierre and Shock like this.
  17. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I get it.

I don't get the reason why.

On your $600 win, how many bids are stated to have been made?

I don't like Julien's lack of transparency. But clearly the vox populi seems to be not bothered. Thematic auctions really draw people in versus the run of the mill "guitar auction" happening somewhere every month and this has to be why Julien's can operate this way. I don't have a problem with people setting terms at all, but I do like them to be clear so I am very certain about what I'm getting into in terms of bidding, premium, tax and shipping beforehand.

18. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    So what did you win??

19. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Hey Mark... I was charged $475 to ship three guitars and a wooden box from California to KC.

20. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Thanks Ed.

The disparity between your shipping charge and the one to the guy in Texas is interesting.

So I can refer to this discussion the next time there is an interesting thematic sale at Julien's: (1) Did they charge you sales tax? and (2) Can you confirm if the shipper was Julien's themselves or a third party? If a third party, do you have their name?

Cheers!

PS: I also fully expect for a photoshoot of what you picked up posted when you have it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.