Gretsch Auction at Julien's

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bigsbyguy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    The prices paid are insane! The two bo Diddley guitars went for 4500 each! And that's before the 25% you have to pay the auction house! New seems to be 2400 on Reverb.

I was hoping to pick up the baritone but its now at 400 before being auctioned. Not worth it because it's going to be at the minimum close to new price.

Archtops likes this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Well, I’m sure there is a ton of other stuff I would like to have other than overpriced parts I couldn’t use just because of their price.
    IDK like a new house or a couple really collectible cars.

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The guitar I was interested in went for $5000! Not to me. :( (I think that was a crazy overbid though.)

4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    and that's $5000 + 25% + 3% + shipping. Crazy.

Hammerhands and drmilktruck like this.
  5. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    But great for the charity.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    The people working there are super cool. Nothing against them or Julien's. They treated me like a rock star. They are really good at what they do.
    But my opinion is that there is some really nice pieces there and some pieces that folks would have wished they held and looked at closely before making an offer. These are not necessarily the choicest pieces. Many have problems that likely prevented their sale at a guitar store as new and full price. Could be how they ended up in this pile. Can't say, but neither can they. One thing is certain, many were too rough for me to put an offer on.

Archtops and cmatthes like this.
  7. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Don't forget sales tax unless the buyer has worked out taking delivery in a state other than CA or NY.

8. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    $6000 for a ‘57 Bassman seems pretty good.

9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The thing to keep in mind is that for charity auctions (of which this one is), many people purposely overbid and overpay for items that might not be truly worth the final hammer price. Unlike a standard everyday auction, it's not about getting the item for a bargain, it's about supporting the charity and still having something to show for it.

I've done that on several occasions if it was a good cause that I believed in. Charity auctions shouldn't be giveaways-- they are designed to be fundraisers.

10. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I expect Ebay to see an influx of some of these guitars in the near future.... but the sellers are going to be disappointed if they try and make any money on these (already over-priced) guitars.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was thinking the same thing, especially the person who bought the 10 Southern Belle bodies for $2250. I expect to see those for a hefty markup. I’d be interested in grabbing one though, depending on the price.

I was thinking about another reason for the listed expected selling prices being so low. Those could be used as the actual value, so that anything over that could be reported as a charitable contribution. Nice tax write off.

12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
  13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Wow! Thanks for that @Lacking Talent!!! I'm exhausted just looking at all of those!

Archtops, drmilktruck and Hammerhands like this.
  14. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Nice displays!

15. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    It's been a fun event to monitor on-line. The "prototype" tag has apparently made a big difference with buyers. It's a little insane to me for some of these guitars. I would guess the Yugo (car) had a prototype made at some point... but would it be considered valuable?? Check out some of the auction projected value versus the selling price on these "meh" guitars.

Bo.png blue.png res.png White.png

JeffreyLeePierre and T-Bawler like this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    The prices here adr obviously not market-driven.
    It`s a charity event.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.