Gretsch and Vox

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Chmason85, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I’ve finally had some time with my new amp and all I can say is wow! So easy to dial in good tone with the 6228 and AC15 handwired. I actually lowered my pickups considerably with this amp and they sound soooo much better! This thing is a monster, very lively, growling and jangly all the same.
    0113F6E9-FFA7-4C47-8A0F-33900B75D250.jpeg

2. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Been using a Vox ac exclusively with my Gretsch guitars for several years live .. you can’t beat that combo

3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    This amp is fierce, I thought I was in love with my Princeton but that sounds like a warmup amp by comparison!

4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Yes, please! I have that amp also. Try it with your Tele too!

I use a SonicCake micro A/B switch pedal to go from Normal to Top Boost, but really like Normal most of the time.

PS-I am going to make my own matching extension cabinet for it as soon as I finish a couple of other projects and have my garage workbench free.

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    Congrats! I have the AC15HW and the AC10 - I love them both.

That AC15HW is something special :cool:

Chmason85 likes this.
  6. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    It is something special indeed! I don’t know if it’s just the hand wiring or what, but this amp just sounds great no matter what. I also think the fairly large birch cabinet with the single 12” greenback has a lot to do with it, sounds real big and projects real nice with no rattles or vibration. I haven’t even tried my strat with it yet, I’m digging the sound of my jet too much!

RedPanzer5150, Wildwood609 and GlenP like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I’m convinced it’s a magic formula. I had a Vox before with a Les Paul and it kind of sounded generic and grainy, but the ‘Tron pickups with the Vox are amazing. One of my favorite tones on this so far is my neck Broadtron on the normal channel with the bright switch on and the master volume bypassed, like a sound I always had in my head and heard on records but never achieved myself until now.

RedPanzer5150 and GlenP like this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    My 12 string Gretsch sounds awesome through my Vox.

Chmason85 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    DeArmond 2000 pickups sound particularly good as well. I think single coils work really ell with a Vox.

Lockupyourfatdog and Chmason85 like this.
  11. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Everything sounds good through my Vox.

Chmason85 and Wildwood609 like this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The brilliance of Filtertrons and the brilliance of a Vox seem to make for a pleasing combination. The Vox tone stack seems to just love the spectrum Filtertrons send its way and the result is bright, but without the ice pick effect.

The Beatles used AC-30s, but that amp was originally developed for the Shadows. The sound of the Shadows was an almost perfect counterpart to what was happening in the US, with Fender amps. With various delay units, the Shadows created an open sound which sounded like a slightly more subdued version of the AB 763 sound, which would arrive in 1964. There was slightly less grit and graininess than the Brownface amps of the early ‘60s, and a very smooth presentation.

Adding a higher output pickup or boosting the signal changes things slightly, but still works quite well. The Vox gets crunchier and delivers a sound quite familiar in British music. IMO, Vox amps fall somewhere between a Fender and a Marshall, when they are overdriven. Especially with Top Boost, the sound is definitive.

My Cyclone is quite similar to an early AC-15, and I love it, especially for Surf and bright clean sounds. It will overdrive, but my favorite sound is just to run it naturally, with some reverb and/or delay. If I push it hard, it goes into a state where the front end is somewhat saturated, but it’s not typical overdrive. Up front is a pentode, and it seems to react differently than the typical dual triode front end, straddling the line between clean and overdriven.

13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I love running my Gretsch guitars through my AC10. To me, it's the truest image of that "Great Gretsch Sound," in part, because of the top boost circuit. That said, I also like what I hear when I play a Gretsch through my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. That Blackface sound does something for me, too. This is why I have whittled down my electric guitar amps to these two. With what I like to play, I can't imagine another amp that I would need . . . well, except for my Fender Acoustic SFX, and it's older sister Fender Acoustisonic SFX for my acoustic-electric guitars.

14. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    +1

Tonemonster81, Chmason85 and Archtops like this.
  15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Just a question, if you run the AC15 with the power attenuator switch at 7.5 watts, does it take a tube out of the circuit or does it still use all of the tubes at the half power setting?

Just wondering if you have to like rotate the tubes if you are running at half power often?

Chmason85 likes this.
  16. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I can’t imagine it takes a tube out because I think that would make the amp overdrive way harder on the lower setting if that were the case.
    I was switching between both yesterday just to see and the tone was more or less the same, but not surprisingly smaller sounding on the lower power mode. On full power there wasn’t a huge jump in volume but there was a huge jump in presence and just generally pushing some real air! The amp punches way harder and has a lot more clarity. I believe Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols pulled a power tube from his Twin and that’s how he got that hard overdrive from an amp that otherwise wouldn’t do that.

GlenP and Outlaw like this.
  17. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Steve Jones guitar was a monster, loved it!

Chmason85 likes this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Congrats! I once had an AC15HW1X. It's a great amp---and guitar---combination.

(Now I have the AC4HW1X)

GlenP likes this.
  19. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Are there any songs out there you would point to that typify a "magic" Gretsch/Vox sound?

Chmason85 likes this.
  20. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I’m sure a lot will say Beatles stuff, but I guess the magic is just hearing it in person. There are so many sounds in that amp. I thought for the longest time that Paul Weller was using a Vox in the Jam, but he got that jangly sound with a Rickenbacker through a Marshall.

RedPanzer5150 and Shadowy_Man like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.