Gretsch and Bigsby

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I am curious why on any proline and even in the 5!!! does Gretsch use the the bulkier Bigsby’s? Why not the sexy looking V cut on them?

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Because the shallow neck set and stud mounted Tuna-matic necessitate the the tension bar of a B7. It's a side effect of the unfortunate Gibsonization of the Gretsch lineup. I don't like it, but if they're going to go in that direction, they should have Bigsby develop a V-cut B7. A B7 is just a B3 with an added tension bar, and there's already a V-cut B3, so it probably wouldn't be that difficult of an undertaking.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Because the shallow neck set and stud mounted Tuna-matic necessitate the the tension bar of a B7. It's a side effect of the unfortunate Gibsonization of the Gretsch lineup. I don't like it, but if they're going to go in that direction, they should have Bigsby develop a V-cut B7. A B7 is just a B3 with an added tension bar, and there's already a V-cut B3, so it probably wouldn't be that difficult of an undertaking.
If it has a tension bar I won’t even take it off the rack or stand I walk right past.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
I think the players editions having tension bars I kinda get. Modern Pro level work horse instrument an all that. But the rest of the Proline I'm not having them.

On the BroadKaster I had the tension bar was set further back so the string break was much better, but that and the frankly odd BT pickups were deal breakers. Imagine this guitar with TV jones and a V cut....I'm in then. But £2500/$3000+ for a tension bar...get outta here.
IMG_20211223_125126.jpg

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
If it has a tension bar I won’t even take it off the rack or stand I walk right past.
Honestly, the stud-mounted Tune-o-matic with a tension bar vibrato has become so ubiquitous on cheap guitars, any guitar with that setup looks cheap to me.
Afire... what is this heresy you speak of??? I'm very disappointed in you!
Hey, I said I'm opposed to the whole shift to Gibsonesque features. But if they are going to do it over my objection anyway, they might as well develop a V-cut B7.

GreTschocaster

Synchromatic
Feb 11, 2013
Canada
If a Bigsby B7 is a B3 with a torsion bar. I wonder how hard would it be to cut off and file the torsion bar portion to make it a B3? From looking at images of the B7 it looks fairly easy. Anyone tried this?

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
If a Bigsby B7 is a B3 with a torsion bar. I wonder how hard would it be to cut off and file the torsion bar portion to make it a B3? From looking at images of the B7 it looks fairly easy. Anyone tried this?
It could be done, but just buying a B3 would be easier. But making a B7 out of a B3 would be much more challenging, but somebody whose talented in metal working could probably do it. Cut off the tension bar portion of a B7 and weld it to a V-cut B3.

ombudsman

Electromatic
Mar 19, 2022
Cincinnati OH
I think I'd rather just live with a tension bar than a shallow break angle and a filled hole in the guitar top.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I’m sure glad that I have the Gretsch guitars I want. I won’t be buying any of the Gibsonized Gretsch guitars.
Amen!