Gretsch Amplification? Anyone ever used a Gretsch amp?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Novelwriter333, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    Way back I bought one of those together with an original ‘57 Duo Jet. I remember it as a fairly bland amp lacking much character and certainly wasn’t the best partner for the Duo Jet. One thing in particular that I remember about it is that it had an unusual tremolo effect that must have used a square wave or something because it was very abrupt and I believe was meant to simulate echo.

2. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I drew that Gretsch amp t shirt a few years back. There were some cool guys in those days aat gretsch/ fender merch. Times change. Good to see its still in circulation, those amps were works of art. Like a Rolls Royce

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Ya, something like that. All I can remember is it sounded terrible and I hated it. LOL!

4. Novelwriter333

Novelwriter333 Electromatic

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    Bummer about not having the t-shirt. I love mine and frequently have Gibson or Fender players comment on how cool it looks.

5. Novelwriter333

Novelwriter333 Electromatic

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    How cool! Thanks for sharing!

hcsterg likes this.
  6. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Sure, I play through Gretsch amps all the time. I have a 1957 6151 (Lancer), a 1960 6152 (which is the exact same amp that Page used although his had the Supro logo on his. I saw it at the Play it Loud exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC. Same amp, same factory, different label), a 1957 Electromatic and a Gretsch Reverberation unit - essentially an amplifier that can be used along with an amp or by itself. I don't have it in front of me so I cannot tell you the model, but it is rather rare as Gretsch amps go. If you like the old Supro/Valco amps, as many other posts have noted, the Gretsch models are essentially the same amp. No doubt, you will love the sound of the Gretsch labeled ones. And, you can probably get them a lot cheaper than a Supro thanks to the craziness of people wanting to have the same gear as rock gods like Page. Endorsements and previous use of gear by these guys makes selling that much easier for companies (or dealers selling vintage gear). That is the case with any product going back well before any of our time.

7. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a Gretsch (by Victoria) Executive into which a previous owner installed a D130F. It has the best sound of any amp I have ever heard and is quite loud for a 20 watt amp. The sound does not seem to come from a point source but seems more to envelop you with 3D sound. It is also a very heavy amp. The specs say 50 lbs and the JBL speaker is 10 lbs heavier than the stock Emminence. Unfortunately, shortly after I got it, the band broke up and the guys moved away. Then I had health issues and so it hasn't been used much since I got it. A striking amp as well. Here is a picture of it with my Guild Starfire V into which I put TV Jones PowerTrons to replace the "ho-hum" Fender humbuckers.

[​IMG]

Groutsch, Dana Rudd, Rmccamey and 2 others like this.
  8. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi

9. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I bought the Executive. It was not the sound I wanted. I sold it and bought a Fender Tin Classic 15, now I can't carry it.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That is the one I would like to have someday. But the truth is I have way, too many amps already. Not that I will let that stop me once I have some new bills caught up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.