Gretsch Amplification? Anyone ever used a Gretsch amp?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Novelwriter333, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Novelwriter333

Novelwriter333 Electromatic

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    I'm curious if anyone has ever used a Gretsch Playboy amp or other Gretsch amplification? 20210603_090057.jpg

MKunie likes this.
  2. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    The short answer is "yes". I have a Gretsch Playboy amp. And it sounds very good for clean tones. I can't say what it would sound like with distortion or overdrive tbh. Just never got around to trying for some reason. :rolleyes:

Novelwriter333 and MKunie like this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I played through a Victoria-built Playboy... but with my tele. It was AWESOME. I have no idea how I would have liked it with my Gretsch, but cranking it up for dirty bluesy tones, it was a monster.

MKunie likes this.
  5. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The originals would 99% likely been made by ValCo. They made Supro, Airline, National, Oahu and contracted for Gretsch, Harmony, and Kay.
    I have an original Supro "Big Star", that looks quite similar to most mid 60's Gretsch 2 speaker amps.

pmac11 and MKunie like this.
  6. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    I have this one. Need a schematic. When it was working it was a great sounding amp! 895C5BFC-D186-4189-B1F6-BEDD14BA2149.png 30B36AFC-1333-49B2-9182-795A28FBF8B0.png

Archtops likes this.
  7. I could never find an affordable version. Actually, i never even saw one in real life. Would like to try one out though

8. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I haven't been there, don't even have the T-shirt!

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Not me :(

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I have a vintage 6161 Electromatic Twin. I had a modern Playboy but the reverb made too much noise, but it was beautiful.

11. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    GC has couple of them currently:

Screenshot_20210604-183148.jpg Screenshot_20210604-182818.jpg

MrWookiee and wildeman like this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    @sroux you have one of the Victoria made models. I know that amp sounds great, I’d love to get one

13. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Yep, Victoria built Playboy. Remarkably good amp, all boutique Fendery goodness. So killer.

I remember me and a buddy playing it and saying WHOA....then we started poking around the amp and saw it was built by Victoria. That explains a lot. :D

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I had an old solid state Gretsch Rogue back when I was 15. I hated it. It looked like this.

[​IMG]

MotorCentaur, DaddyDog and pmac11 like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I still remember when they had the Victoria made Playboy amps on sale for USD 899,-.
    I am still kicking my ass for not buying one.

ruger9 likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I love the old Valco's, not really what the OP was asking about but wth?:D
    Ima fire up my old Supro in a bit......it's 6am here......don't think my fam would appreciate it....

MotorCentaur likes this.
  17. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    I replaced stock speaker with a cannabis rex, put a 5751 in the pre-amp slot i think it was and fixed the tremolo helicopter noise with a different brand tube(don't remember). It's a great amp. there is a noticeable clink when you stomp the tremolo on but i was told by victoria how to fix that but never bothered. Only tremolo, no reverb on the Playboy. Plenty loud, 30 some pounds if i remember so you can carry it if you want. No regrets buying the amp.
    sckwlfuk7ynchg4l8bhm.jpg 12022420775_de9ed41cdd_c.jpg

Bertotti, Rmccamey, DaddyDog and 3 others like this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have only two examples of Gretsch Amplification on which I can tell some words...

A Gretsch G5222 Electromatic Compact Amp, the brother of the Fender Champion 600 RI. The original circuit was unconvincing, so I rebuilt one of my own, based on the Fender Champ with a few tricks. I also refinished it. Well, OK, the tone was Fender Champ Tweed like. This amp belongs to a pal now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Gretsch G6160 Chet Atkins - some G-T members (@wildeman ?) have one too - that came in for repair. A very interesting, great sounding amp, with an amazing tremolo !

[​IMG]

It was in a cool cosmetic condition and I would have been pleased to keep it... :rolleyes::(

The tremolo of the G6160 is so good sounding to my ears that I decided that I'll build an amp based on the same preamp section - minus the tuner - plus a master volume and a reverb. The build has started. I only wrote : started... :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, you recognise from where I took the inspiration... ;)

upload_2021-6-5_21-56-44.png

A+!

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have the Fender Champ 600 version of the recent Gretsch G5222 amp (not the guitar of the same number) that hcsterg showed.

My first amp was a late '50s or early '60s Gretsch 6163 (Valco?) 15" and a 4" tweeter. Maybe 15-20 watts. That's one I should've kept.

hcsterg likes this.
  20. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I have a 1965 Playboy. It kicks a$$ - has a 12'' Jensen and 6973 power tubes. It's one of those handful of amps that is supposedly the same as the Supro Jimmy Page used for Led Zeppelin I.

Groutsch and Novelwriter333 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.