Gretsch 6120 N the "New Nashville"

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Novelwriter333, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Novelwriter333

Novelwriter333 Electromatic

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    Hi fellow Gretsch fans!

I've been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I haven't seen anything so far about my favorite Gretsch guitar, so I thought I'd create a post about it. I have quite a few Gretsch guitars (but am also partial to Gibsons). We call my Gretsch G100CE the "Tone Monster" because the range of tones produced by the one single-coil are truly amazing. But, the flagship of my Gretsch guitars is my 6120N. I always bring the 6120N to a gig along with my Les Paul Custom. Every time, when the gig is over, the other musicians ask me to bring the 6120N the next time we play together. I've also had comments from the audience about how they've never seen any guitar as "cool-looking" as the 6120N. So since I haven't seen anything about this guitar on the forum, I thought I'd do a little good-natured bragging about mine!

Attached Files:

emitex, bhatta, Merc and 6 others like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Welcome, and the "N's" have a good following. Great guitars, and owners swear by them.

Keep having a blast.

Novelwriter333 likes this.
  3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Welcome, and thanks for posting about that cool N take on the 6120. That Florentine cutaway is eye-catching.

Novelwriter333 and JT19 like this.
  4. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    You have something to brag about. I bet it sounds as good as it looks

5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Love the Florentine cutaway!

6. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice! That's a really cool Gretsch... the Florentine cutaway makes it look very unique.

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    2015,What took ya so long?!;)

Nice geet,i prefer the version with the B6 myself.

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That`s quite a rare bird. Congrats and welcome.

9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on having one. I love the look. Enjoy.

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I see that ....where ya been and so few post . ;) Welcome back my friend . Love the guilt , sure is different . Gibsons are great guitars too as I have an SG in the family , Yours reminds me a bit like Ted Nugents guitar ..all I know is his is a Gibson too ( I forgot the model )

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi, there are a few 6120N owners on this forum including me. I have the 2003 version with the Bigsby B6, the pic you posted is of the B7 tension bar version.
    Mine has been upgraded with TV Jones Classic neck and Classic+ bridge pickups.
    G6120N & G6120-JR2 001.jpg G6120N & G6120-JR2 007.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    emitex, bhatta, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Why did Gretsch stop making them? Poor sales?

13. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I've owned two of them, and I'd like to get the second one back, if I ever run across it. It's pretty unmistakable, I added an internal Roland GK synth pickup (replete with an orange LED), added a second switch, and a few other mods, I'm pretty sure there's not another one like it anywhere, and I can't find the guy I sold it to to ask if he still has it and would like to sell it back. I do like this model.

14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes. There was a huge reaction from Gretsch purists about the Florentine cutaway, very thinline body, and the quasi-centerblock construction. Gretsch should have given it a completely different model# designation other than 6120. The Luddites won, and the model was withdrawn.

mbkri likes this.
  15. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Ahh the 6120N. Mine is a 2001 model and is my favorite of all my guitars. TV Jones Powertrons.
    :).

5B4D5116-219C-4D4C-9B3C-6B8B106104E9.jpeg

Attached Files:

lbrous2, emitex, Groutsch and 2 others like this.
  16. Novelwriter333

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    Yes, the 6120N truly has an amazing range of tones. You can tear it up Rockabilly style, then play some gentle and flowing jazz, next switch to some driving rock and roll, and then end up the gig by making it cry the most richly sorrowful blues. This is one of my guitars I would NEVER sell.

17. Novelwriter333

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    Mine is a 2001, as well. I once read Gretsch "purists" were quite upset about the "radical" design and came down hard on Gretsch about creating this model. I believe there were only about 1100 manufactured? I know I have never seen another one at a gig, music store, or concert. Just as a curiosity, from time to time I search for the 6120N on eBay, and think I have only ever seen 2 listed for sale in more than 10 years. I know I wouldn't let mine go. I might ask to be buried with mine because you'll have a hard time prying it from my cold, dead fingers once I'm gone.

18. Novelwriter333

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    I heard they quit making them because Gretsch "purists" gave them a lot of crap about the "radical" Florentine cutaway, saying it's not a "real" Gretsch. At least that's what I heard...

19. Novelwriter333

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    I'm happy that Gretsch caved and mine is now a rare model! I believe, just like the Gibson '59 Les Paul, these 6120Ns will be worth quite a bit in a few years. Because not only will they be rare, but they are distinctive, beautiful, a joy to play, and have great tone.

Attached Files:

lbrous2 and audept like this.
  20. Novelwriter333

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    I also added the onyx-green knobs and a roller bridge. The green is a nice color offset to the orange body, and with the roller bridge, my Bigsby STAYS in tune (yes, it does!) and I almost never break a string. 6120N Knobs CU.jpg

Groutsch and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.