Gretsch 5427 string recommendation for good twang ?

LarryL

Electromatic
Mar 1, 2011
Oklahoma
Just got this guitar-used-mint-yesterday and I really love it...it has wound strings on it, which I am not used to and want to keep the twang going, so I am not sure if I would loose that if I put Chromes on it-D'addarios 11s is what I usually use....I also have a Gretsch CG reissue and thats what I use on it, but that guitar is more for my "chet" style stuff, whereas I got this 5427 more for rock and rockabilly...just curious what would sound good in your experience...I guess I should know since I have been playing for 60 years, but perhaps my old hands have changed a bit over the years !! Thanks for any advise...brand and gauges please...also I might change out the pickups at some point to TV Jones...I love those in my CG, very strong and cut thru easily...any recommendations there for rockabilly stuff ?

summary:
1. brand and gauge for Rockabilly sound
2. TV Jones pickups for rockabilly sound

Lockupyourfatdog

Synchromatic
Aug 8, 2016
Everett wa
I use d’addario 11s. They sound great and twangy. It was the preferred string of Poison Ivy of the Cramps. If it’s good enough for her it’s good enough for me

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
I use Elixir Nanoweb 11s. Bright and lots of sizzle, and they sound brand new the whole life of the string. Try em out if you never have. It’s like always having fresh strings on.

capnhiho

Country Gent
Feb 16, 2013
California
542* series?
D’Addario EXL115BT’s for me. I prefer the balanced tension 11 gauge sets with Bigsby-equipped guitars because my ears think the intonation stays more accurate when the lever is pressed.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Twang is more than strings, especially on a Gretsch. I use D’Addario EXL110W nickel wrap strings with a wound G for warmth. I also roll down the individual volume controls a bit for the same reason.

Get bright strings for twang. D’Addario NYXL strings twang and last a long time. You’ll also want to keep your individual volume controls close to wide open so you don’t cut highs. The master has a treble bleed that makes it ideal to use to control loudness without losing twang.

You may also want to push your amp if it’s a tube amp. What we recognize as twang came from underpowered amps pushed with the treble dimed, or close to it. That will give you a bright, crunchy, rockabilly twang. A celluloid pick twangs. Finger pads mute it. Use your nails is you play finger style. And you thought twang was a strang thang. Have fun with your 5427.

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Twang is more than strings, especially on a Gretsch. I use D’Addario EXL110W nickel wrap strings with a wound G for warmth. I also roll down the individual volume controls a bit for the same reason.

Get bright strings for twang. D’Addario NYXL strings twang and last a long time. You’ll also want to keep your individual volume controls close to wide open so you don’t cut highs. The master has a treble bleed that makes it ideal to use to control loudness without losing twang.

You may also want to push your amp if it’s a tube amp. What we recognize as twang came from underpowered amps pushed with the treble dimed, or close to it. That will give you a bright, crunchy, rockabilly twang. A celluloid pick twangs. Finger pads mute it. Use your nails is you play finger style. And you thought twang was a strang thang. Have fun with your 5427.
hmmmm.

tell this man:

A8FFACCA-D7AC-4023-B383-1B8F6F8749C5.jpeg

…that you need a pick. guess he’d had $10M of twang if he’d used a pick…

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
hmmmm.

tell this man:

View attachment 182828

…that you need a pick. guess he’d had $10M of twang if he’d used a pick…
You’re not wrong and there are no shortcuts. The OP was looking to strings to get twang. It’s not strings at all. Speaking only for myself, I’ve worked out how and how not to twang with my guitars. I use a pick where I want it but that’s as much about what I’m playing as what I’m playing it with.

When there was country and western, western influenced twang more than Appalachian mining songs but it was all music of rural America. I think the Telecaster gave us what’s ingrained in our sound memory as twang. It still amazes me how a hollow body with single coils got to nearly the same place and how FT’s got there too with the mud switch out.

So maybe twang is a state of mind fused with playing style more than a sound. This reminds me of the jazz tone discussions. You have to learn to twang. You can’t get there with new strings any more than you can play jazz by picking up a big wide hollow body with flat wounds.

Last edited:

LarryL

Electromatic
Mar 1, 2011
Oklahoma
thanks for all the input guys....I do use both a pick and fred kelly thumb pick depending on the song and the style I wanting to play...I will digest the info, experiment, and go from there. thanks again