Gretsch 5220 owners

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I know there's just a few 5220 owners, however, I wanted to get some feedback on the black top Broad Tron pickups and hear how you feel about them?
I was thinking about up grading and wondering if I'm nuts?
Thanks in advance for the input!

NoRhythm

Electromatic
Sep 5, 2018
UK
I’ve bought my first gretsch and happens to be a 5520. I am very much a novice, so please bear that in mind and base any comments against my experience. The 5520 is wonderfully comfortable to play. Light, gorgeous finish (cherry) the pickups I think sound great, the sustain seems to go on forever. For the money, less than £400, for my first electric I think is a bargain.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I love the action and the feel of this guitar so much, I want to upgrade to the bt65 broad tron pickups that are in the 6228 , however, I can't find them anywhere. I even contacted Gretsch and they told me to try ebay or reverb, ha!

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
My G5220LH Cherry Metallic is on order, so I'll have one soon... :rolleyes:

zoom.jpg

A+!

Nemesis44UK

Electromatic
Aug 1, 2018
UK
I've had my G5220 for less than a week, but I'm loving the pickups so far. The tone control (unlike most of my other guitars) makes a real difference to the sound and I have to say, whilst I have been unable to replicate the overdriven tones achieved by Chappers in the Andertons video thus far, the pickups are a real treat in my mind.

It's my first Gretsch, so I don't feel qualified to compare the pups to Filter'Trons (seriously?) or others, but I genuinely feel that this guitar could do all genres of music, although with full-on metal, you may need a pedal as it doesn't get that dirty going through my Boss Katana amp.

I love the sound of the Broad'Tron pickups, clean or with crunch and would pick it over many others. Brighter and cleaner than a mahogany-bodied guitar has any right to be. They seem very refined to me, but as I said, I don't have previous Gretsch experience.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Love to hear your thoughts on the blacktop broad tron pickups!

Looks great!

Thanks !

I bought it from my long-time pal-owned small local music shop :

delamaison_03854400_175147079

800x600_72429-music_change_logo.jpg

The order is placed and the guitar should be there on early October.

My concern is less the BroadTron PUs than the possibility to install a B3LH tremolo without any additional toy (Towner bar, etc...).

A+!

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
Thanks !

I bought it from my long-time pal-owned small local music shop :

delamaison_03854400_175147079

800x600_72429-music_change_logo.jpg

The order is placed and the guitar should be there on early October.

My concern is less the BroadTron PUs than the possibility to install a B3LH tremolo without any additional toy (Towner bar, etc...).

A+!
I gave the "Les Trem" some thought, however, not sure it will fit on a 5220

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I've had my G5220 for less than a week, but I'm loving the pickups so far. The tone control (unlike most of my other guitars) makes a real difference to the sound and I have to say, whilst I have been unable to replicate the overdriven tones achieved by Chappers in the Andertons video thus far, the pickups are a real treat in my mind.

It's my first Gretsch, so I don't feel qualified to compare the pups to Filter'Trons (seriously?) or others, but I genuinely feel that this guitar could do all genres of music, although with full-on metal, you may need a pedal as it doesn't get that dirty going through my Boss Katana amp.

I love the sound of the Broad'Tron pickups, clean or with crunch and would pick it over many others. Brighter and cleaner than a mahogany-bodied guitar has any right to be. They seem very refined to me, but as I said, I don't have previous Gretsch experience.
Thanks so much for the review!

Pdnlegs

Country Gent
May 28, 2016
Oklahoma
I ordered mine in May. Was told to expect it in about a month. Then was told to expect it by August. Then was told “fall”. Then finally was told November.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
ordered mine in May. Was told to expect it in about a month. Then was told to expect it by August. Then was told “fall”. Then finally was told November.

:eek:

Well... It means that I may have to be patient, then ? o_O

We'll see ! ;)

A+!

Agus

Electromatic
Aug 17, 2018
MADRID
A few weeks ago, on August, i got a G5230T but It had a lot of intonation issues, specially on G string, even if you didn't use the bigsby, and using It, that Was a disaster, almost every string went flat.
So I returned It and i ordered one G5220 ... Last friday The G5220 came And since that day i am so happy ... The G5220 Gretsch IS awesome, The pickups works cool in clean, crunchy And more crunchy, you can get a lot of tunes from them.
Sorry for The photo, it is really ugly.
For the first upgrade i am thinking about towner bigsby B3, no drills is neccesary, but i don't know if It works because The strap button of my G5220. Anyone could resolve my doubt.

Have a good day, dudes

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_174228.jpg
    IMG_20180915_174228.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
A few weeks ago, on August, i got a G5230T but It had a lot of intonation issues, specially on G string, even if you didn't use the bigsby, and using It, that Was a disaster, almost every string went flat.
So I returned It and i ordered one G5220 ... Last friday The G5220 came And since that day i am so happy ... The G5220 Gretsch IS awesome, The pickups works cool in clean, crunchy And more crunchy, you can get a lot of tunes from them.
For the first upgrade i am thinking about towner bigsby B3, no drills is neccesary, but i don't know if It works because The strap button of my G5220. Anyone could resolve my doubt.

Have a good day, dudes
Good news, Agus! Happy it worked out for you!

Pdnlegs

Country Gent
May 28, 2016
Oklahoma

Have a good day, dudes
Where did you order from and what kind of deal did you get? I ordered from Prymaxe and got 20% ($360) but, you know I haven’t actually got it.

Pdnlegs

Country Gent
May 28, 2016
Oklahoma

Have a good day, dudes
But if there is somewhere else I could get as good a deal and not have to wait half a year that would be cool.

Agus

Electromatic
Aug 17, 2018
MADRID
Where did you order from and what kind of deal did you get? I ordered from Prymaxe and got 20% ($360) but, you know I haven’t actually got it.
I ordered in a store in Madrid (Spain) but at thomann.de you can get It. 429 €.

Last edited:

Latest posts