Gretch clones

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by silvertonebetty, Feb 23, 2013.

1. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Gretschie

Jun 18, 2012
    canada
    I have a few questions

I see a couple of gretsch clones of models I can't afford so I was thinking of buying one and sticking gretsch pups but witch model do you think I should pick up

Attached Files:

2. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Yuk...............

4. ikaros_swede

ikaros_swede Synchromatic

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    Many times are the pictures showing the real model, what you get is something complete different.

Same goes for most of the **** from China; iPhones, Galaxy tabs, MacBooks etc. Photo of the real and what you get is something with a painted display...

Save the money, buy a cheap hollowbody on eBay, there's plenty of them for around $250-300. No piont in messing with the pick ups on them, then you end up with spending as much money a new 5420 costs.

There are no short cuts to a good guitar, absolutely not via china. Same goes for everything. You wont find a cheaper tube amp than a fender if you want same quality. Fender clones cost more than fenders. Gretsch clones? There are no such thing... You migh be able to have luthier to build you a clone, but that one will cost more than Gretsch own clones; Custom shop-made guitars.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    ...for feck sake.

6. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    please don't buy one. please.

7. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Those have nothing to do with 'cloning'.

There have been some people here on the pages and elseware that did honest and true reproductions of various Gretsch models. Those I would lovingly call clones.

The ones in these pictures are chineese knockoffs that barely deserve the label 'guitar'. Gretsch clone? Nah, really, come on!

These really won't feel or sound like a gretsch. They are soul-less pieces of fire wood impersonating a halloween-version of Gretsch. And bad-ones at that.

Sabato likes this.
  8. Spyke5122

Spyke5122 Gretschie

Jun 19, 2010
    Scotland
    Get an Electromatic model. They're more affordable guitars mady by Gretsch themselves. If you want a Gretsch tone that's the best way to get it on a budget. Plus, they're fine outstanding guitars in their own right!

Ant

9. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The photo on the top left is a genuine model, but you can guarantee that won'y be what'll turn up in the post.
    Don't bother, you can't even give these away after you've found out how nasty they can be.

11. Bill

Bill Country Gent

Oct 16, 2012
    Cambs, UK
    Might be OK, undoubtedly will need work. Or it might be really horrible and a total loss of your money. It's a lottery. That's how it is with the cheap tools I buy, but the money risk is a lot less with them.
    Best saving up or getting a loan and finding a good used Electromatic.

12. rockabillyboyme

rockabillyboyme Country Gent

Nov 5, 2010
    va
    I love Gretsch,but i also buy other guitars,but would never buy one of those! Like someone said,there are plenty of cheap guitars out there . I bought a Sparrow Big Daddy Ace but didn't think of it being a copy of the White Falcon until someone commented.'Nice Falcon copy'...it is a good guitar in it's own right. Don't waste your money on these 'clones'. You won't get much better than a Gretsch Electromatic for the same money.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't get one of these. A friend of mine got caught badly with a guitar that was nothing like the picture he ordered from. The guitar was basically unplayable and all the fittings and electronics were absolute rubbish! This is a Chinese scam!

14. FistFullOfSteel

FistFullOfSteel Electromatic

Jan 15, 2013
    Beaverton, Or
    Hmmmm. Sorta like a mail order bride - but "sight unseen"

Definitely hold off and get an Electromatic..............

The Godin 5th Ave KingPin II is an option for a well built hollow......they sound really good, are very well built.......

As a rule, I wouldn't buy something I haven't played..........

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Slightly miffed by the "I can't afford" reasoning. If you can afford a DH gate clone there are plenty of decent used guitars available. Apparently the logic is it's better to have a POS that looks like a Gretsch, than a decent playing instrument? To top it off I'm asked to be an accomplice to thievery by helping decide which model to pick. Thanks but no thanks. Sincerely, your friendly neighbourhood grump.

16. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
  17. emidyl

emidyl Electromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    GTA
    well put, if you can't afford the real article, hold off and save a bit til you can because you will never be happy with it, regardless of how well built it is, which won't be likely.
    As others have suggested Used Electro, best route to go.
    I too never understand someones need to use, wear whatever a clone/copy.
    End of day, you get what you pay for.

18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    So are you keeping that flame topped Telly...:D

19. Hitonedaddyo

Hitonedaddyo Gretschie

Don't buy that crap, very poor quality. You can get a better guitar in Tijuana Mexico.

The sparrow however is a decent guitar.

For that money you can find an electromatic.

20. Hitonedaddyo

Hitonedaddyo Gretschie

Sparrows are pretty cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.