Grestch, Vox and Brian May

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by BatmansGretsch, Dec 4, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just an FYI @BatmansGretsch , I've seen Queen 3 times with Freddie Mercury ....... nothing like'm

2. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Once with Freddie three times with Adam. Would have seen Freddie more but they didn’t get back to Australia.

Seeing Queen with Freddie changes my life.

Waxhead, thunder58 and BatmansGretsch like this.
  3. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    That's amazing. For the past decade, I have been going to see bands that are... ermmm... vintage :) let's say, because I know in a few years' time they probably won't be the same lineup. However even if not vintage, things happen, like with Freddie. So I try to go to see whatever I can instead of putting it off. However since COVID that all changed a lot. I guess I got a good run of bands in before that. I would see upwards of 10 stadium gigs a year and one festival.

thunder58 likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Vintage ........ if you get the chance go see STYX

5. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    The best gig I have seen of an older band has to have been Black Sabbath: The End tour with Iommi, Butler, and Ozzy. I'd like to see The Rolling Stones with Richards. I sadly missed out on seeing Motorhead but have seen almost nearly every other 80s metal band we have all heard about.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Twice with Freddie and once with Adam.
    About 40 years between.

dlew919 and thunder58 like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

While this is running toward the wrong decade for you ... the unveiling part way through may be enlightening ... or even shocking.

There are some options out there if you need the shape.

I'd focus on where along the guitar BM picked the strings as that alters the tone quite a lot, plus what pedal and so on was in the signal chain. Ergonomics of a guitar can tend to put your picking near the saddles on a Tele (sharp bridge and saddles) or up by the neck on a Strat (avoiding hitting that volume knob), or because of the relationship of the strap pins/thigh cut puts the bridge location to the right or left (SG and Explorer shift the bridge and thus put the cowboy chords way to the left, especially noticeable after playing a Strat where everything is shifted to the right).

Edit: I got curious about more details of the BMRS ergonomics and grabbed some photos to scale a Strat (25.5in) over the RS (24in) nut to saddles, and some interesting findings. The Strat is olympic white with a tort guard in a see-through layer.

-All three RS pickups are pushed closer to the bridge than the Strat, because of the 24 frets on the RS but he also built the bridge pickup right next to the saddle block. Pickup placement can be very important.
    -A Strat's middle pickup may be more like a RS neck pickup and the Strat bridge pickup actually has too much bass although the high strings are closer.
    -The Strat's volume knob is in the way of nearly all RS playing. I had not really paid attention to just how far away the knobs are on the RS vs most other guitars, especially a Strat.
    -Thigh cut of the body will push the guitar further back to the right if playing seated (more likely to pick closer to the neck (when doing studio recordings?))
    -Strap pins will have it more to the left tending to cause more picking closer to the saddles for a brighter tone (when gigging).
    [​IMG]
    Other than the scale length, the pickup placements were likely chosen based on where they could fit in the allowable space to give the widest range of tones.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    BatmansGretsch and new6659 like this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Very interesting.

BatmansGretsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.