Grestch Strap Buttons

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TeleKing, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've got Schallers on a bunch myself, but generally w/ a strap that has fairly substantial ends w/ holes that aren't too large the Gretsch buttons have caused no issues if I tighten them the half twist or so they've worked themselves loose once every couple hours or so (blue Loctite could help w/ this too). I take the caps off, put the strap on the post & tighten the caps back down when I take the guitars out of the case.

Best of both worlds & probably my favorite solution on guitars where they don't look out of place are these:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.rockinger.com/en/parts/hardware/strap-pins/455/multi-lock-strapper?c=49
    They're Schaller lock compatible when you take off the cap but I pretty much always use a strap w/o locks w/ them. Caps stay in place very well & are easier to grasp than the Gretsch caps. If your strap can work itself past those caps, it might be time for a new strap. Also gives you the free swiveling of the guitar on the strap end of the Schallers w/o the occasional noise coming through your pickups from the metal on metal contact of the lock collar & the button. You might need to drill the stock holes out slightly for the supplied ones to go in smoothly.

2. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Gretschie

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    I would drill the holes to prevent splitting and wax the threads to allow the screws to go in smoothly and prevent breakage.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    I love the Gretsch strap locks because of the way they look. Because the screw that goes into the guitar threads counter-clockwise, tightening the knob too aggressively can unwind the screw but I found that a bit of white glue on the threads that go into the guitar holds it tight and then I just check that the knob is tight before playing.

section2, capnhiho and Outlaw like this.
  4. It's good to know the strap buttons can be changed without loss of any mojo. I was afraid it would be considered blasphemous and sacrilegious by the Grestch tone Gods . Thanks to all for the insight .

Mr Twangy likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar

I have never seen those, I like them.

I took off my Dunlop and Schallers because they put the strap so far from the guitar body. This was especially true on my thinlines with the strap button located on the back of the guitar. Those long ones were really uncomfortable.

I may have to try the ones you posted.

gazzie and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I hate them because the nut that attaches the locking mechanism to the strap always gets loose. So the problem with the guitar falling down in midst of the action is basically the same as without Schaller straplocks.

gazzie and mr coffee like this.
  7. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

You don't have to use the supplied screws. You can get a screw that matches the threads of the Gretsch studs, that way no alteration of the guitar, maintains ability to switch back effortlessly.
    No drilling necessary! Get screws that match the size of the Gretsch studs, that way changing back and forth is easily done, no alteration to the guitar required.
    Not all of them are reverse thread. Many are not in fact. I have 6 Gretsch electrics, as far as I can remember only one is reverse thread (will check later today). Four Pro Lines, standard threads I think. Same with the Korean Electromatic. The Chinese Electromatic is the one I think I recall being left hand thread.
    Caution definitely advised on removal.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

This topic comes up periodically, but I never quite get it. Gretsches with their standard strap buttons are almost all I've played since I was 15. Never had one come loose while playing. I can kind of understand the inconvenience knock, but spending 30 seconds before and 30 seconds after a four hour show unscrewing them and screwing them back on is a pretty minor inconvenience.

9. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

I had to replace the strap buttons on my 5622 after a year as the neck one stripped out. I ordered the standard Gretsch replacements you find on various websites. When they arrived, they looked like those on Prolines, rather than the ones on my Electromatic. The replacements felt more substantial and the retaining screw into the body was both thicker and had a deeper groove on the thread. These replacements screwed in fine with no problems and feel more solid. I haven't had either the originals or the replacements work completely loose but I did periodically check and sometimes had to re-tighten. To date they have held secure but they are also getting less use/wear now I have an Annie as my main guitar.

The Annie has the Gotoh locking strap buttons and these certainly feel secure and do the job nicely.

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The "S" series have a one piece screw/strap lock button.

No drilling larger hole required, and felt washer is included.

20200826_113748.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    T Bone likes this.
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, they're nice IMO. They've also come w/ adhesive backed thin felts to stick on the body side of the buttons if you need them. Only bummer can be waiting on them to make it through customs when ordering from the US (& shipping costs can be more than the buttons too if you're only ordering a single set), but about 2/3 of my orders from Rockinger have wound up delivered within a week or so from ordering & the longest was ~14 days IIRC.

Assuming I'm not trying to correct a neck dive situation w/ a guitar, I'm in the same boat as to not liking how far the Schallers wind up sticking out most of the time.

T Bone and radd like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Is it always the upper button that comes loose on you all?

13. Jreveal

Jreveal Electromatic

Feb 19, 2020
    Washington DC
    The Gretsch buttons are attractive but a disaster waiting to happen. It is my understanding that the 6120s come with Schaller strap locks and that Setzer uses them. Yes, that means the scary process of very slightly increasing the screw-hole size, but it easily can be done with care, or get your favorite guitar technician to do it. Not only do the barrels fall off, the bounce and roll and hide, and you end up in your big gig sitting on a stool without a strap.

14. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I haven’t changed the strap holders on my gretsch. Only once did the strap work loose. Otherwise I screw them in and it stays. I gig regularly. I have strap locks on my ither guitars.

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    No need to enlarge the hole using the"S" one piece screw/button.

As others have stated, a little soap on the thread and screw it into the body

16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am not cheap and I love the Duesenberg Multi Strap Locks. A blend of the Gretshc design and style and modern locking. I put them on all my guitars that don't have the Gretsch system.

17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

No, most of the 6120s don't come with Schallers. The SSLVO I think did. The Hot Rods don't, neither does the RHH or the regular 6120s.

I have Schallers only on one guitar, my Rickenbacker 360 12. Hate them, but the guitar came with those buttons.

30 years ago I put them on a Strat, hated them then too. Hate how they stick way out from the guitar, also had one come loose on me once when I had thoroughly checked to see if it locked (or so I thought).

I stick with vintage style buttons on Fenders and have no issues. On Gibsons I use the rubber grommets like the Grolsch washers.

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    "Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck"

Sing along now!!

"Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck, Gretsch Strap-Buttons Suck"

Use real Strap Locks. $3,000 on a guitar - $20 to make sure it stays attached to the strap. Good deal!

Marv666 likes this.
  19. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    The Gretsch tone gods are very strict about Gretsch purity. That’s why they get rid of Gretsch pickups and put TV Jones in, get rid of Gretsch bridges and put Trutone in, hate the mud switch, hate V tailpieces, hate Gretsch pickguards and take them off, and hate Gretsch strap buttons too.

capnhiho likes this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

If they're a disaster waiting to happen, then they are a very patient disaster. I've been using them for over 30 years, and been gigging regularly for about 20 of them, and it's never happened to me.
    Granted, I'm not the most animated showman, so maybe that's a factor.

mbkri and Mr Twangy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.