Got to have a look at a few new Gretsch guitars this weekend, thought I'd share.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stefan87, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    My wife had an appointment up the sunshine coast on Saturday and while we were up there I got to visit a relatively big music store up there that I have been wanting to get too.

They had a long wall full of electric guitars ranging from custom shop Fenders and Gibsons down to the entry level epiphones and squiers and then the adjacent one full of acoustics, one reason I have wanted to go is because they are a one of few stores here that carry prolines so thought I'd see what they had.

I got to have a look at/play the new 6128TDS and a new 6128T-57, they didn't have a 6228 which is what I really wanted to have a go at but they did have one of the rosewood G6119TG-62 and wow is that just a work of art, I didn't play it because I just didn't want to touch it but that is seriously a nice guitar.

The biggest thing that stood out for me was the 5410T tri five's, they had two there and the pictures don't do them justice, the white and gold is a real winner for me, if I was in the market for a mid tier hollowbody they would be on the short list, I think I like it a bit more then the white rat rod.

All in all if anyone is considering looking at the 5410 tri fives or the rose wood G6119 seriously take the time to check them out if you can, you won't be dissapointed.

Now to the part that hurts me to admit (jokes offcourse) I did have a look at Gibsons new tribute studio Les Paul in the Steakhouse burst, as I have said many times I don't like Gibson or sun burst finishes but I would happily own one of those, I didn't try it as I had ran out of time but it is very cool.

Luckily or unfortunately I got out of there with out a 'I need to own this' moment but was a fun day none the less.

Waxhead, section2, ZackyDog and 9 others like this.
  2. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Stefan - what did you think of the 6128TDS? I haven't yet seen one in the flesh.

Stefan87 likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I really liked it, was the dark cherry colour, I personally like dynas and the 3 tone knob layout so to have that option in the player series is really cool, as you know with your 6228 the little things like the rolled neck joint heel and the lower set neck do make a difference.

The best way I can describe it to you would be the playability/feel of your 6228 and electronic set up wise with the looks and bigsby option of one of your 6128 jets.

new6659 likes this.
  4. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Thanks so much for that. I'm on the lookout for one to give it a try. I like the look of the Sahara Metallic one quite a bit.

Stefan87 likes this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    No worries, I'd love to see that colour in person too, will wait for the NGD thread when you try one out lol.

new6659 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    .... and that's what the music's all about . Sounds like I need a fun day out too . Thanks for the report :)

Stefan87 likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Glad you made the trip. Sounds like a very nice day.

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Latest instruments I tested in a shop were kalimbas :rolleyes:
    "A fun day none the less" :D

Stefan87 and Archtops like this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Congrats on getting out and being able to control the I wants/needs deal.
    It’s feels so good to get out. Each excursion feels like a mini vacation lately.

bhatta and Stefan87 like this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah it was good to go and actually play some guitars in person instead of just internet shopping like we all have been doing for the last while.

I will admit I did think of you when I was in there Rich, as I walked past the wall of acoustics I glanced at a few of the signs above to see if I could spy Martin, they had a lot of big name brands there, I couldn't see it so just B lined to the electrics, I only had a small window to get some playing in as my daughter was asleep in the car so my wife was just waiting with her and didn't want to keep them too long.

It wasn't until I looked on the website as we were driving back home that I saw they did in fact keep a small amount there, so I missed out on giving one a go which I am sad about as I haven't seen any in stores that are closer to me.

Archtops and thunder58 like this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ( reading between the lines :D ) Sounds like another road trip is in order here ;)

12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes I will be having a look next time we are up there for sure, it's a 4 hour round trip so no idea when that will be but am keen to go now lol.
    Seeing as I don't have a good acoustic electric it is something that would be a good buy, any opinion on a smaller bodied budget model to keep an eye for?

thunder58 likes this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm gassing' for a Martin D13e Road series . A working mans guitar . Sort of a cheaper version of a D-18 . Not cheaper in quality / build , but price . Great bang for the buck . About $1200 U.S.

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok cool, on a quick google search they are mentioned on a few stores inventory lists within an hour of me, no stock though but at least I can keep an eye out for one once they come in.

thunder58 likes this.
  15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I agree with you on the Tri-5’s those are pretty sharp looking in person. With that cool V inlay on the headstock, it really begs for an upgrade to a V cut Bigsby to match!

Stefan87 likes this.
  16. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Hey @Stefan87 which shop was that? Guitar World? Gold Coast Music?
    I'm busting to get up there, this covid-border business is just ridiculous!

Stefan87 likes this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey NHT,

It was Mooloolaba music centre up the sunshine coast, worth having a look if your ever up that way.
    Yeah the border thing is a pain, should hopefully be open soon though, when you can definitely have a lool at guitar world at Nerang as they have a white falcon there, well they did when i was there last which was a while back, lot of nice stuff there.

I haven't looked in to gold coast music but next time we head down that way I'll try and get there and let you know what it's like.

NowEarThis likes this.
  18. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Yeah reyt. I see them coming up on google searches a fair bit lately, I imagined a small shop. Mooloolaba is where my good old drummer friend from Melbourne lives. I was up there last Christmas so first opportunity, I’m heading up there again and will check it out.

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.