Got some blacktops for my 5120 and have a question

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Pine Apple Slim, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    They have the quick connect things on the leads.
    Does anyone know where I can obtain a matching other side of the connectors?
    Otherwise Im gonna have to cut it off and splice the wires. Don't plan to do a full re-wire at this time.
    Id rather install the full connection system if I can find the other ends to these connectors somewhere.

2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Did you do your install yet?

3. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Nah. Im taking them to my tech on Monday.

4. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I just got a set off eBay with the quick connector (basically useless since the guitar doesn’t have them), I’m not sure I’m up for the task of soldering, I suck at it. No luck finding the other end of the connector?

5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    To be honest, soldering is the best connection that you can make.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Not that hard. Make sure iron runs hot enough, use flux and pre tin the wire, should be a piece o cake.

7. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I’m curious, I watch videos on YouTube and they all solder at the pots, is that necessary? Can’t you just splice the wires Solder them together without dragging the pots in and out of the guitar with a bunch a rubber hose?
    I appreciate the advice and any help you can give me

8. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Yep. I flat-out agree. And I want to do something about it.

I'm dang near sure that I'll have to get a decent kit.

Of course that means I'll have to get something to solder. How about an old tube radio?

I'm allegedly okay with maths. Would there be any point in buying a multi-meter? Of course, one step at a time.

Where should I start? More to the point; where would you start?

Russ

9. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You can splice wires but i always go directly to the pots, least amount of joints the better is my thinking. You can use dental floss too instead of hose, just tie it on before you loosten the nuts and its easy.

jfassett and wabash slim like this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Get the best iron you can afford, an adjustable digital station is awesome but kinda expensive. I use my meter all the time, you can get a decent one for 20 bux and a solder sucker or wick. A pedal kit is a good place to start or just buy a cheap pedal and take it apart.

russmack, jfassett and wabash slim like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I started when I was 10, nearly 60 years ago, so, memory may not serve well. Dad fixed,TVs and radios as a side gig, so I kind of grew up with it. I learned CPS instead of Hertz for frequency, condensor said instead of capacitors---terms have changed, but heir function remains the same.I had a kit that I could make an AM radio and a transmitter and other things. Pick up a beginner's book on Ohm's Law and general electronics.

You can do fine with a basic Weller soldering iron, 20-30 watts or so. A soldering station, with temperature control, might be overkill. A decent set of hand tools (diagonal cutters, needle nose pliers, assorted mini screwdrivers, etc.) is a must. You'll need a spool of 60/40 solder, some solder wick, to draw up old solder, and a tin of flux. A decent multimeter is a necessity for any electronic work. It needn't be top of the line, a basic unit will be fine. Heat shrink tubing works far better than electrician's tape, tho the tape is handy to have around as well. Like you said, practice makes perfect. An old radio is one way, a small pedal kit is another. The more you do it, the better you get. Find a HAM, an amateur radio fan to teach you some basics, if possible. Most are helpful sorts, and enjoy showing noobs the way. Have fun with it.

russmack and jfassett like this.
  12. Redfish

Redfish Electromatic

Apr 11, 2018
    St. Augustine, FL
    I struggled my whole life with soldering until I got a soldering station on the advice of an electronics whiz I know. Got it used on Ebay for $60 and it's the best investment I ever made. Now my connections don't look like little silver piles of dog crap. I never had any luck with a cheap iron or gun. I could solder connections to tabs but never had much success with ground wires on the back of pots. If you are starting from scratch get a station. You'll thank me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    russmack likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.