Got a UFO story??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Randy99CL, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I feel I should add that I am not one of those "ufo believers", I am actually quite cynical and only believe what I can find hard evidence for. It seems that a lot of people are motivated to fake things like that.
    All those lights and UFOs spotted in the sky don't interest me. Some are fakes and others just unexplained, we don't know everything at this point.

I'm really not interested in this subject at all, other than loving good sci-fi.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  2. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Out in the high desert of eastern Oregon near the Idaho border, my long-time good friend has seen many ufos multiple times. He is a believer.

I try to be skeptical (not cynical). As a young man, I was more likely to believe. Ever since I read Carl Sagan's The Dragons of Eden, I am more cautious to jump on board. Carl always wanted to believe, but in the absence of hard evidence he couldn't ever be certain. Still, he helped pioneer the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Sticking to the scientific method and thinking rationally with a healthy dose of skepticism all while entertaining the likelihood of ET intelligence (likely) against the likelihood of them traveling to visit us (unlikely) is the approach I take.

JeffreyLeePierre and Randy99CL like this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Gonna have to look that one up. “A Demon Haunted World” is right up the as my favorite read (and re-read) Sagan had a gift for explaining the logic behind the science.

4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Once there were too many stars in the sky. Those were only satellites.

Randy99CL likes this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Hard evidence has a way of arriving in due course. ;) That’s why I stay open- minded.:p

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have one. When I was in the Marines stationed at MCAS El Toro a friend and I were coming back from the gym. He drove over, no idea why I always ran over, but today I rode with the sarge. On the way back from the left and side of the window to the right-hand side a giant football-shaped object which looked on fire blipped by. It was massive and was gone from one side to the next in less than the blink of an eye. We drive another block and I ask did you see that? He says, "The firey thing, I wasn't going to say anything. I thought it was just too hard of a workout."

loudnlousy, Randy99CL and gtttrrr like this.
  7. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Randy,

I gave my rather large family of new next door neighbors a ride to the mall yesterday.

And, Oh...I don't believe in extraterrestrial life, these folks are new to Ontario. from Manitoba.

BIB.

aliens.jpg

Randy99CL and gtttrrr like this.
  8. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I'm trying to decide which is scarier. The thought that we aren't alone out here, or the thought that we are all alone out here.

9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    A physicist on NPR today (I just caught a few seconds) said that the reason that we haven't met any extraterrestrials is because we are not very interesting. Primitive.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm a firm believer in that theory .... that's my 2-cents worth

11. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    We probably shouldn’t be so human mammal Earth centric. In another galaxy on another planet sentient beings might be only 1/16” tall and able to travel in ways we haven’t figured out yet. If we allow that possiblity, space aliens may already be here.

12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Figure the odds...

Billions of planets, all could support life as we can't imagine it.
    Do you think any human can even imagine what undiscovered critters live at the bottom of the ocean? And BTW, they might be aliens.

I love the Independence Day movie, but why would they come here to rape the earth when there are billions of planets without anyone to fight and plenty of resources. But I guess that if they are thirsty we're in trouble, AFAIK this is the only planet with Diet Coke.

If they got here they are so far advanced we have no chance.
    What, me worry??

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    wabash slim and gtttrrr like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You may discover the stories of giants and men and dwarfs and elves are just alien races and you may find out we are all just hobbits!

gtttrrr and Randy99CL like this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Sci Fi is such good stuff! Many years ago I read a story where our whole planet was some 5th grade alien's school science project!

Marko60, gtttrrr and Bertotti like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Was it the outer limits or twilight zone that had the episode where the woman is confronted with little tiny alines and she kills them but when she gets on her roof the ship says USAF on it?

I think it was The Invaders with Agnes Moorehead.

gtttrrr, Sabato and Randy99CL like this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Twilight Zone. That one's a favorite. It is actually the ship from the movie "Forbidden Planet"---the first big budget US sci-fi film. That ship, its interiors, and its props were used on many Twilight Zone episodes. That ship model was on it's last legs, which is why the had her chop it up with an axe. The studio spent so much on the original props and stuff for the movie, it needed to recoup their money. Used them for over ten years.

My other favorite props story is from "Frankenstein". The lab gear, operating table, and all of the electronic FX were the same ones used in every Frankenstein film afterwards. One guy owned it all, and kept renting it out for decades. The last one to use them was Mel Brooks. Many of those FX can be found in any uni level physics labs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  17. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I've had no UFO encounters, although some 'haunting' type experiences.

I find the recent headline statements coming out of the Pentagon quite amusing, 'There are flying craft in our airspace that aren't ours and we don't know what they are. But there is no evidence that they are alien.'

This coming from the nation with the most technologically advanced military in the world.

These craft perform so far beyond our capabilities that they are beyond our scientific understanding. Hovering stationary then up to mach 9 in the blink of an eye, right angle turns at those speeds, travelling underwater at the same speeds.
    For them to be of human construction there would have had to be multiple huge scientific and engineering breakthroughs that have been kept secret. And those breakthroughs had to have been made at least 75 years ago.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Marko60, new6659, gtttrrr and 2 others like this.
  18. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    ufo?.jpg
    This floated down the Columbia River about ten years ago and got stuck on an island west of Portland. It was quickly stripped, abandoned, and grafittied. No one has ever claimed it. Locally it is known as the saucer of Sauvie Island.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    new6659, gtttrrr and thunder58 like this.
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Back in September 2008 i was just out star gazing at around 10:20 - 10:30pm,i had been out for over an hour,when suddenly right over the house 3 very bright circular lights moving in a triangular formation,as if they were fixed,i could not see any triangle behind the lights.As bright as they were they were also soft ,if that makes any sense ,they weren't blinding .
    There was no sound ,complete silence,and i know it wasn't a plane, helicopter or drone as i live between two airports and see a lot of aircraft passing over on a daily basis ,and i have never seen anything like it since.

Fast forward to April 2009 around 4:15 in the afternoon,i was watching a contrail jet when i see this other light appear below it,much much lower,i thought it was another small light aircraft but it is actually 3 lights ,again in formation ,they then stopped suddenly and began to move ,again ,in triangular formation upwards .At this point i ran upstairs to get my binoculars but when i look there is only 1 light still moving in the same direction ,the sky was cloud free,except for one small lone cloud,which the light disappeared into,and i can tell you i never moved until that cloud disappeared and that light never came out.

blueruins, Randy99CL, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    As a scientist myself with particular interests in particle physics, evolutionary biology and cosmology I have a tendency to inject hard science into discussions on science :D

So please excuse me once again by suggesting people watch this video. The compere is a Professor at Australian National University and his youtube channel (PBS Space Time) is one of my fav's on youtube. Highly recommended if you want to learn real science :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

englishman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.