Got a lemon

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by BoundandPurfled, Jul 28, 2021.

1. BoundandPurfled

BoundandPurfled Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    I recently ordered up a black Falcon Rancher. Picked it up at store and looked it over quick and didn’t see anything that jumped out at me, and I was in a hurry to get home as I was in the city longer than my sanity usually allows.

Got home and played it for a while, finding buzzing frets and bad binding in the nut, it came with 12s but the nut looked like it was cut for 10s. I notice a filled knot in the FB , on the 15th fret marker I think I see a hair stuck or something and I rub at it... it crumbles and reveals a void beneath he very thin inlay ... closer study reveals a hump at the 15th where the neck meets body. I’ve ordered several Gretsch from various stores through the years and have never seen an example that bad, or bad at all aside from some used pieces.

I returned it today and am waiting for a replacement. I hope it’s not a batch problem. They really are beauty’s and sound pretty good overall.
    Hopefully I’ll have a good NGD post in a few days.

2EF80316-C420-4924-9AE0-79926DF0C7D4.jpeg

T Bone, GlenP, MrWookiee and 3 others like this.
  2. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Yikes....that sucks.....glad they didn't give you a hassle returning it......Hopefully the next one will be a "keeper"

3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's really too bad.

There's always a lemon out there, but you hate to be "that person" that got it.

Sounds like it's getting resolved.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That is really awful. Imo this is not just a manufacturing error, or lack of human perfection. Someone intentionally hid major, perhaps fatal, flaws. This instrument is a fraud.

5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Sorry to hear of this experience. Hope the replacement is everything you want it to be.

6. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    This is terrible in so many ways. We all understand that you cannot inspect in quality, the quality has to be there. The purpose for the inspection is to send it back for correction, if it cannot be adjusted/corrected properly, it should not have been sold.
    We were a small Mom & Pop shop, but it was not unusual for us to receive 12 for stock, and have to send 1-7 back to the manufacturer. Gretsch is usually a quality manufacturer, so maybe someone did not use the same eye for discretion because it was a Gretsch.
    We had used the same eye regardless of the manufacturer. Some were higher risk, but if the customers desired that specific brand, then we took on the responsibility to assure a pleasant transaction. Thankfully you have the eye and the wisdom to send it back. When someone advertises that the guitar has been set up, that should be done BEFORE the sale, and obvious defects should not have been given to the customer. I am so sorry, sending the correct message to the retailer is actually doing the right thing. Honest feedback, helps the retailers and manufacturers stay in business if they use it to improve customer service.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sorry to hear this . I'm sure the next one will be fine

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I pressed "like" only because I find that guitar so beautiful.
    Sorry that this on was not up to your expectations. Hopefully you will get a nice one.

Archtops likes this.
  9. BoundandPurfled

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    I ordered from guitar center, I doubt they check, but it shipped out of Riverside, ca. And I wonder with all GCs chapter 11s if (fender/Gretsch) orders aren’t being dropped shipped straight from fenders warehouse

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm thinking that with all the GC issues, they've been cleaning up returned/defective instruments and selling them.

If so, not good, but this guitar obviously wasn't checked out for being a normal quality Gretsch.

Best of luck

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Where's Joe C. when you need him?

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Retired, fishing, and enjoying life!

BoundandPurfled and wabash slim like this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Sorry you had that experience. It’s disheartening but you had a good eye and awareness so let’s hope the next one will be up to par. Best of luck!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo this should not have left the factory. Maybe GC should have caught it, but it shouldn't have been sent to GC in the first place. This is someone at the manufacturer hiding a problem. It is intentional misrepresentation.

wabash slim and mrfixitmi like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I find it hard to believe it would leave the warehouse this way. I wonder just how new it was? A return someone else messed with?

16. BoundandPurfled

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    You give more credit than I do. I’ve worked in manufacturing long enough to know that not all employees revere the legacy of a brand name. I’ve seen QC pass questionable examples of different products. People are there for a paycheck.

Bertotti and mrfixitmi like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sadly I have seen that happen in my industry as well. I would have thought QC better for Gretsch.

18. BoundandPurfled

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    Interestingly, the replacement is shipping from Kansas as opposed to the OG coming from SoCal. I ordered a strap at the same time as the OG and it came from KS.

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    As soon as I saw your thread title I thought .... "I bet he got it through Guitar Centre USA".
    I've seen 100s of threads like yours about a wide variety of instruments bought from that store.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  20. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    GC/MF has a HUGE central warehouse/shipping center just East KC MO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.