Good band.....annoying vocals......

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GJK1959, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Can't say I agreed with all of your post snoop but I really did enjoy reading it. ;)

2. the_undecided_one

the_undecided_one Electromatic

Mar 4, 2010
    Sandpoint, ID
    well, its actually 'laugh out loud,' but whatever. :p

back to the original topic,

I've found Coheed and Cambria to be another band with great music, but horrible vocals.

3. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Snoop

I enjoyed Run DMC and early Beastie Boys. Once it became cop killers, woman rapers in the songs, not so much.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Oh really? Says who? You? I'm supposed to take your word on that? You're (notice I didn't say "your") a guy who mangles the English language and peppers his posts with idiotic, juvenile abbreviations and misspellings. Talk about 6th grade! You need to go back to school, pal.

If I feel like using the word "so," a perfectly good word in all respects, I will do so without comments from someone like you.

Or is it "u." Eh?

5. SnoopyKTFC

SnoopyKTFC Gretschie

Nov 22, 2009
    Kettering UK
    Hi Jeff ..Yep Forgot them - i agree - I didnt mind Run DMC esp with Aerosmith .... But they were a bit Benny Hill and must've always been doing comical face plants. I did also extensively fight for my right to party - exercising it as often as possible. So yep. Can't think if any other Rap ( apart from some of Chuck Berry's poetry ) that i can get into.
    Why the hell did they get into the Gangsta crap??? There's probably some talented funky Blues, Soul n Rock n Rollers hidden under those tasteful gold chains.
    What a waste.

6. sonnyjimslim

sonnyjimslim Synchromatic

You got to be kidding! Keith Richards is one of the worst singers I've ever heard ever. Great guitar player but terrible singer, listen to Memory Motel or She's my Little Rock and Roll (T&A).

7. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    I like She's My Little Rock & Roll. I've grown tired of Jagger, though. His voice works for me on songs like SHATTERED, though.

8. razor

razor Synchromatic

Sep 26, 2009
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada
    rick31797 and DrumBob,

You guy's need to chill a little. Not worth a battle over the King's English!

That's just stoopad!

9. rick31797

rick31797 Synchromatic

Oct 27, 2009
    Canada
    I agree Razor, pretty silly little thing too be concerned over ,the way a person abbreviate words, can't be very much important going on in there life, if they worry over such small stuff.

oh buy the whey, um outta hear.

10. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Funny this comes up. I just saw the flaming lips! Wayne Coyne is criminally talented as a player/song-writer/lyricist, but he cannot sing for the life of me.

11. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I agree.... and I still say he is way better then Jagger.

12. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    If we are going to include Jazz drummers, I'll take Elvin Jones and Max Roach over Rich. For Rock drummers, Peart is technically amazing, but lacks the swing and groove that make musicality IMO (though I will also argue that such things are very difficult, to impossible, to argue in any absolute sense). I'd much rather listen to Stewart Copeland, Keith Moon, Topper Headon, or Dave Barabossa than Peart any day. Bonham too, and I'm not much of a Zep fan.

As for the OP, I can't appreciate a band as great if I don't like the vocals. Good maybe. But not great. As for the Chili Peppers, Geidis isn't great live, he's got intonation problems that seem to have something to do with being too involved in showmanship. But I think he sounds great on recordings. He's as central to their sound as Flea's bass. Maybe more.

13. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    I disagree. Jagger can kill. "100 Years Ago," "Sympathy for the Devil," "Blood Red Wine," "Lady Jane." He's a great stylist. No one has to like the style, but he's a great stylist nonetheless.

14. rick31797

rick31797 Synchromatic

Oct 27, 2009
    Canada
    Steward is an amazing drummer, in the top 5 in my book.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRdFNPeHoI0&feature=related"]YouTube - Synchronicity II, The Police, Tokyo Dome[/ame]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  15. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    My favourite artist of all time is Hank Williams. Also among the giants in my life were Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Jimmie Rodgers, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristifferson and an Aussie (a legend over here) called Slim Dusty.
    I can't imagine that any of these wonderful performers would make it past the pavement OUTSIDE the audition hall for American Idol.

All the young people who get onto that show (though I confess I've never seen it) have WONDERFUL voices, I'm sure.

I also like great singers like Roy Orbison and harry Nielson, too, but...
    I don't really give a fat rat's patootie what someone's voice is like if they can move me and make my heart beat just a little bit stronger when I hear them.

16. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    See Rick, common ground.

I agree, Stewart Copeland is one heck of a drummer.

By the way, you spelled Stewart wrong.

Work with me here, Rick.

As for the Stones, I think the voice fit the music. Raunchy, unpolished. That's why Keef on T&A is so good. It's bad in the literal sense, just like my little rock and roll. All TnA, baby.

17. sonnyjimslim

sonnyjimslim Synchromatic

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, Sammy Hagar's voice/vocals annoy me, his personality is annoying, he even looks annoying. Sammy Hagar is the worst thing that ever happened to the Van Halen Band, with the exception of Eddie's misgivings.

18. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    Well, we need to find our common ground too. I wasn’t a Van Halen fan during their heyday when I was in Jr high. I couldn’t stand David's voice or obnoxious behavior...hated Jump. I was al about Zepp and Lizzy then.

When Sammy started with Halen I started listening to them. I actually bought Balance. I started digging them.

A buddy about 5 years ago had free tickets to the Roth Show here at House of Blues, I went and discovered the greatness of Roth. His showmanship and full tilt give it all you got attitude won me over big. Now I love the guy and am routing for the new line up. I'm hopeful they do put out the secret Album. But I know Sammy was the only way I gave them a chance and turned around. Now because of Sammy I'm a fan of all Van Halen. I go back and it’s like listening for the first time.

19. OpenMike1963

OpenMike1963 Country Gent

Mar 30, 2009
    Alexandria, Virginia
    The Grateful Dead!
    Fans of The Grateful Dead like to wax about the Dead's ability to harmonize, but whatever they want to call it, the Dead could never harmonize well. And Jerry's voice was probably the worst - God bless his soul.

20. c7ble

c7ble Gretschie

Apr 29, 2010
    Edinburgh
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.